The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"E" EQ, J dynamics, master fader, rides, mix levels
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Head

"E" EQ, J dynamics, master fader, rides, mix levels

Hi Michael,

A few quickie questions from a fellow J series user in Paris, France...

1. Do you like to use the console "E" EQ curve often, and if so, for what instruments? Is there is a general pattern to it for you, or more a question of toggling the "E" switch on and off and going with what feels better at the moment?

2. Do you tend to switch in the console channel compressors on most of the individual channels (in addition to your outboard compression on the A B C D stereo busses)?

3. Master VCA: Do you prefer the sound of bypassing the J series master fader and patching directly to the mixdown machine? (I seem to recall that you don't compress the overall mix with the SSL J quad comp.)

4. Rides: Do you do rides on many tracks? Or is it more like a few rides here and there or just on the vocals?

5. Master mix level on the J: When your mix is in the sweet spot, are the console's main Left-Right bargraphs often fairly well pegged in the "over" region?

Thank you, Michael, and all the best to you!
Old 20th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

(1.Do you like to use the console "E" EQ curve often, and if so, for what instruments? Is there is a general pattern to it for you, or more a question of toggling the "E" switch on and off and going with what feels better at the moment?)

I’ve seen that little button that says E, sometimes I push it but I don’t really hear anything different so I leave it alone.

(2.Do you tend to switch in the console channel compressors on most of the individual channels (in addition to your outboard compression on the A B C D stereo busses)?)

Sometimes, if the track needs it.

(3.Master VCA: Do you prefer the sound of bypassing the J series master fader and patching directly to the mixdown machine? (I seem to recall that you don't compress the overall mix with the SSL J quad comp.))

No, because I have to fade the song. I sometimes use the quad compressor, again it depends if it sounds better with it in or out.

(4. Rides: Do you do rides on many tracks? Or is it more like a few rides here and there or just on the vocals?)

There are hundreds of moves during a mix. Transitions from intro to verse; building into choruses; peaking for the bridge; vocal and background rides; drum rides; bass rides; riding rides. It makes for a very dynamic mix....and fun to watch.

(5. Master mix level on the J: When your mix is in the sweet spot, are the console's main Left-Right bargraphs often fairly well pegged in the "over" region?)

I have a custom fader across the prevca insert built by Steve Firlotte (Inward connections/vacrac limiter). When the levels get hot on the meter, and if I don’t want to pull down the subgroups(not the ABCD substereos), I turn the level down at the box. It has a sound I like. Also, when I’m not using the quad compressor, I avoid putting the master fader into VCA mode which occurs when you turn the trim or master fader down.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search