The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Average track counts
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

Average track counts

Michael-- Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

Just wondering how many tracks songs are averaging these days? It seems like (because of Protools) producers are using more and more tracks.

Do high track count sessions pose a problem, or can you still get the mix done in the same time?

Do you always use every given track?
Old 28th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

It's not bad. The average is about 48. It varies from 10 to 120. But when i sit down to mix, it's miraculously down to 46. I don't want more and my assistant makes sure I don't see more. Meaning, alot of internal mixing might be taking place to accomplish this. I'll listen to all the tracks before determining if I want to use a track or not, not to mention running it by the artist or producer if they are in the picture.
Old 29th September 2005
Gear Guru

So, are you dictating internal PT relationships? I.E. 60% inside BD 40% outside? Are you setting 'static' levels in PT, or do you do some automation there too?
Old 29th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

internal comping usually stays static but sometimes i may use automation if it needs it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search