The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MEDIA SOUND
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

MEDIA SOUND

What type of sessions were going on at MEDIA SOUND, NYC when you worked there?I always wonderd about the MEDIA SOUND/POWER STATION connection, any insights?

thanks,

ezra
Old 20th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

There was pretty much everything going on at Mediasound when I was there from 1976 to 1984.

During the day we recorded commercials for all the big advertisement firms. We did Purina, Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds etc. It was incredibly high pressure. We’d do two different commercials with full orchestra between 9am and 5pm. We mixed to mono, 4 track and full stripe film all running at the same time. Then from 6pm to 2am we recorded artists.

Mediasound was the house of R&B and Pop although we did have bands like “The Dead” “The Ramones” “Aerosmith” and some other great rock bands come through. Some of the pop and R&B included; Frank Sinatra, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Joe Jackson, Velvet Underground, Barbara Streisand, Stevie Wonder, Aretha, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross, Luther Vandross, Change, Maynard Ferguson, Bob James, Earl klugh, Kenny Loggins, Ian Hunter, Steve Kahn, Larry Coryell, John Phillips,Tom Waits, Duke Ellington, Mel Lewis. The list goes on for days.

The staff engineers included; Michael Barbiero, Carl Beatty,Tony Bongovi, Fred Christie, Bob Clearmountain, Michael Delugg, Godfrey Diamond, Doug Epstein, Joe Jorgenson, Harvey Goldberg, Jeffery Lesser, Ron Saint Germain, Ed Stasium, Bill Stein, Alan Varner, Don Wershba, myself and a few others I can’t think of right now.

Tony Bongovi left Mediasound to open up the Powerstation in 1977. He took Clearmountain with him.

Additional note: I forgot to mention my old friend Lincoln Clapp, forgive me. Great engineer and great guy. Also I didn't mention the owners of that great house of music, Originally, Harry Hirsh, then it was John Roberts, Joel Rosenman and Bob Walters. These were exceptional people to work for. John Roberts died not long ago. He was the kindest most caring man I have ever had the honor to know, he was a great advisor and leader. may he rest in peace.
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
Tony Bongovi left Mediasound to open up the Powerstation in 1977. He took Clearmountain with him.
And his bro Jon. And we all know who that is.

Thanks for the reply to this question.

Shane
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search