The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Comments about Michael's tips / answers thread!
Old 10th September 2005
Comments about Michael's tips / answers thread!

A place to put your recations to Michael B's tips

No questions...

Nothing that needs a responce

Just comments...!

Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

He keeps me busy for days making new autoloads for logic

so much bussing & multing stuff I wanna try....even ITB....sounds like it might be worth it.

he´s amazing......been listening to X&Y the last 2 weeks
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for filling me in on the "Glow Of Love"-type piano!

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

If Michael chooses to participate in a thread in one of the other forums, I also assume the "Lock 'em up, Danno!" procedure would not be in effect...
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

It´s the first time I find myself reading replys over and over again. There are some posts that should be read every morning before going to the studio, very inspiring stuff for sure.
Old 10th September 2005
mix diplomacy

one thing that strikes me when i read Michael's posts is how well spoken and diplomatic he is. Even ignoring his obvious talent, it's not hard to see why he's gotten as far as he has. Even just based on personality alone... he makes me feel comfortable just reading, I can only imagine how much more effective he is in person.

a fascinating read all around. I can turn my internal critic loose and can't find a single fault.

excellent stuff!

it also confirms a few things in my mind about mixing the song around the vocals.. how boring ProAc 100s are (most clinical speakers i've ever heard.. but great for knowing how much tone you're adding).. and how many great sounds were made with Pultec EQs. it always seems to come down to Neve, LA-2A, Pultec, doesn't it?

I like the way he uses subgroups too... I have my own preliminary ideas on using a cranesong Spider as a summing buss with a couple folcroms/etc and he's confirmed in my mind that the methodology is sound. Different tools, similar idea. We'll see if i can make it work in practice tho.

the Coldplay stuff sounds excellent, BTW. whatever he's doing is working.
Old 10th September 2005
krs
Lives for gear

Fabulous, but I have to add...

I think this format for a guest is definitely the best I've seen so far. I think the Richard Dodd experience would have benefited greatly from this type of moderation. Focused and to the point.

Bravo Jules
Old 11th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2leod
If Michael chooses to participate in a thread in one of the other forums, I also assume the "Lock 'em up, Danno!" procedure would not be in effect...
correct...
Old 11th September 2005
Gear Nut

I'd say these are the best written and most gereraly thoughtful comments I've seen on this site.
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

MB makes me warm and fuzzy......

heh
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

I have to agree with KRS. If this it what it takes to keep the BS out of the GS moderators so they don't get pissed off then lets keep up this format. It is so much more informative and seems to get to the gist of the questions without overloading the moderator during his otherwise busy schedule. I also must say that Michael's responses have been very detailed and it is obvious that he is very articulate. I wonder if it would work as well with other moderators who can't compose responses as well as Michael can.

My other question is how much more work does it make for you Jules and is it worth your time to approach it this way?

Thanks again to Michael and Jules for what seems to be another great month of education.

Michael Greene
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
Fabulous, but I have to add...

I think this format for a guest is definitely the best I've seen so far. I think the Richard Dodd experience would have benefited greatly from this type of moderation. Focused and to the point.

Bravo Jules
Unfortunately it was probably the Richard Dodd experience that created this new format.

But I do love this new format. Question then answer and done. More questions get answered without the subject going into lala land etc. I find it way more productive this way. We need Mike Shipley and Richard Dodd back Jules.

Shane
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

Michael should write a book!

His answers are so valuable!

thumbsup
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

I think the format is cool for protecting moderators from BS but I wish we could chat and ramble a little more. But considering Michael's workload it wouldn't be possible anyway - so thanks for finding a way for letting this happen @Jules and Michael
Old 11th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
My other question is how much more work does it make for you Jules and is it worth your time to approach it this way?
Michael Greene
Its extra work for me for sure..

But work I gladly do...

and worth it? - Yes!

I am only getting a chance to have the quickest peek at MB's answers as I am spread thin these days between the studio & GS. I am REALLY looking forward to reading through them slowly so it all "soaks in"

For example I loved hearing how MB has an old engineer colleague that delivers his productions sound files so they form a great rough mix when simply panned and all lined up to zero.. I have enjoyed that tracking & overdubbing technique in the past and I make sure I teach all my interns how to do it too. Reading MB's text on it - makes me want to do it more (again) myself! It kind of 're-validates' it for me

Inspirational.

To say I am very pleased with how this is going would be a gross understatement!

heh

Jules
Gearslutz.com admin
Old 11th September 2005
Gear Guru

this is by far the most focused, informative, and BS-free internet experience i've had related to engineering.

i love mixing so much, my obsession with it was a huge factor in the roughest and most painful artistic and personal breakup of my life. of the many things i learned, i learned that i love to mix as much as i love to write and perform songs. sometimes i suspect i write new music simply to create the opportunity to mix it. i learned that this is generally not true of most musicians, and that i need to honor and respect that difference if i wish for my relationships to stay healthy and balanced.

reading about people like MB blows my mind, their efficiency, their talents, their productivity. reading things FROM MB is another level entirely. what a gift.

thank you jules for creating this experience. thank you Micheal Brauer for sharing of yourself so openly. we're all the better for it.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 11th September 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i love mixing so much, my obsession with it was a huge factor in the roughest and most painful artistic and personal breakup of my life. of the many things i learned, i learned that i love to mix as much as i love to write and perform songs. sometimes i suspect i write new music simply to create the opportunity to mix it. i learned that this is generally not true of most musicians, and that i need to honor and respect that difference if i wish for my relationships to stay healthy and balanced.
amen to that whole paragraph! and a HUGE thanks to jules and Michael Brauer...so much great information....
Old 11th September 2005
Gear Guru

Michael's responses are great and the new format is clean and smooth.

Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

More MB!

I adore the fact that a group of such opinionated slop-slingers like ourselves are actually BEHAVING for a guest moderator like MB and are instead throwing such love and admiration out there! Jules, you chose the RIGHT guy for the job and this format keeps it tight!

FWIW, I did not even know I was a fan of MB's work until I recorded a Coldplay concert on the Parachute tour for HBO's live (well, it's now dead) music show, "Reverb". I listened to my mixes and then listened to his, and then listened to his, his, his, over and over again at the detail and seamless ease that it exudes, with taste and subtle flavoring- but sooooo smoothly. I learned a lot from that experience, and I owe gratitude!

I was thrilled to finally hear "Yellow" from HIS studio mix instead of my live one, and am quite appreciative of his work on artists like Grandaddy up to Dylan, the Stones and Sir Paul.

Cheers, MB! Hope to buy you a drink, man.
Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

Jules,

You've raised the bar.

Again.

Big props, good brother.
Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

Agreed.

Jules, this is definitely the way to go with guest moderators.

Only two things to improve:
- put my questions up heh
- make sure MB stays on AT LEAST for two months heh .

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

I used to think my life would be perfect if only I were Sting..
now I see I was so wrong and when I grow up I wanna be
just like Michael H.Brauer!!
Old 13th September 2005
More cowbell!

After reading Michael's schedule, Im amazed he has time at all to answer any questions, so I'm gonna be grateful for the month we had :-)

Thanks Jules and Michael (and Keith!)

Cheers,

Old 13th September 2005
Gear Nut

Michael's reponses are a great read : )

thanks
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your helpful information here, and on your website!!
thumbsup
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Addict

Class A gear
Class A Guy

awesome
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

I love the new format! (even though my first Q didn't go through...I later realized why...)

As people already mentioned, no BS and straight to the point. Also MB's answers are extremely well thought out.

Well done!
Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

Absolutely the best format for this kinda discussion.

Bravo!

Thanks for taking the time Michael!
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

From this and his other web content he seems to be using his compressers for Tone as much as he is for gain control. And like a true Artist, is not afraid to share the good oil with the apprentices!!
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Seriosuly interesting stuff.

Thanks for your time and considersation.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search