The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to build a career with solid clients
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

How to build a career with solid clients

Michael,
How did you get your first "high profile" session? After that, did your "high profile" work come from word of mouth or did you have to pursue those clients? Have you done any aggressive "client gathering"?
Old 20th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Many of my early sessions I did were recording new artists that went on to become Stars, so they turned into “high Profile sessions”. But the first official “high profile” artist was Aretha Franklin. That came about because Luther Vandross produced the record and I was his exclusive engineer at the time.

Most projects come as a result of word of mouth. For me I think the word or reputation that I gained was that I was the guy that could fix it. If they were having trouble with getting the right mix for a song I was the guy that would make it right. I was able to be consistent at it without the use of additional production.

I am always looking to establish new relationships with producers, established artists, new artists, record companies, and managers of artists. That’s one reason why I have a manager. He doe’s the footwork with the phone calls, the meetings and the traveling. I couldn’t do it properly on my own when I’m stuck in the studio everyday.
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search