The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Michael - How do you start a mix?
Old 7th September 2005
Michael - How do you start a mix?

Michael, is there a general approach that you have when starting a mix? Do you start with the drums? Build up everything around the vocal? Push up all the faders and go?

Also, when you start a mix on a new song, is that the first time you've ever heard it? And if so, what are your thoughts on that.

thanks,
shawn
Old 20th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

It’s an interesting question. It should be an easy one to answer but you’ve noticed it’s been sitting there unanswered for a week.

I’m never sure how I’m going to start a mix. I sit down at the desk, take a deep breath, let it out slowly and follow the stream of ideas that begin to flow.

If a song is based on a vocal and acoustic guitar, I might build the mix around that. In this way, the focus always stays on the vibe I captured at the start. There are times when I build the mix up around a piano or a bass and vocal. Establishing the vibe in the first ten minutes is what gravitates me to these odd combinations but it works really well for the song.

When I mix singles or albums, I’ve already listened to it once for approval prior to booking the time. There are exceptions but I don’t want to mix something I don’t like. It’s not fair to either the client or myself. Music that I can’t relate to, makes me grumpy and it’s hard to be diplomatic when I’m not having fun.

I don’t study a song prior to mixing it. I enjoy the spontaneity of not knowing anything about it. Of course, I sit down with the artist and ask a lot of questions prior to mixing, but the song is fresh and new to me at this stage.
Old 20th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
I sit down with the artist and ask a lot of questions prior to mixing, but the song is fresh and new to me at this stage.
Would you mind sharing the questions you ask the artist?
Old 21st September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
Would you mind sharing the questions you ask the artist?
I've addressed that question in another thread. you'll have to search for it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search