The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
questions about your mixing approach
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

questions about your mixing approach

HI Michael, Its so great to be able to do this! I have a few questions is about how you approach mixing.

WHat are some of the tools that you "must have" with you to perform a mix with out feeling under equipped?

Also, as a mixer, what was the biggest "aha!" moment, moment of discovery or 'game changing moment' for you?
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I have never considered myself a mixer and have only mixed solo a few times. When I mixed "4th of July" (which was kind of sprung on me), I was in a studio with a bunch of effects and no comprehension of SSL automation. I wound up using nearly everything in the room and had the assistant tutor me with the SSL.

Generally speaking, I like to work with someone who can operate the console, but if I'm alone then just having an SSL is fine. I don't like to use a lot of outboard gear because when I've recorded something, most of the effects have been printed (except vocal ambience/delays). Since budgets are tight and a lot recordings are being done in/mixed in a DAW, I generally stay there. My experience has been that stuff sourced to and monitored exclusively from digital doesn't work well when converted into analog- therefore, I get things to my liking when recording. Of course, I'm open to possible exceptions to this.

As far as "aha" moments in mixing- that usually comes when the mix is over. I like the process but I enjoy making the mess more than I do tidying it up.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search