The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Celebrity Skin - Awful
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Celebrity Skin - Awful

Thanks so much for your time on here with us!!

This track is so feel good! I remember playing this on repeat when I was in college. Awesome use of the tambourine!!

Couple questions...

1 - Do you remember what amp and guitar combo was used for those guitars? The first half of the verse seems more chimey like an AC30, then the 2nd half of each verse gets hit with this huge body of distortion layered on top. It's ridiculously huge there and I love it!! Can you elaborate on this please?

2 - What mic/pre combination was used on Courtney and do you happen to remember what kind of treatment was used for the effect? Sounds to me like some kind of H3000 setting on her vocal, but I'm just guessing...can you give us more info on this as well please?
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

I love this tune!
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Julian-

Thanks- I appreciate it.

As far as the chime-y guitar sound- that may have been an AC30, but I was actually using a Watkins Dominator a lot (heavily modified, FYI), so that might have been in there, too. ON a lot of the songs, I used a combination of the Watkins amp, a Sansamp and a Serge Modular synth- especially for distorted stuff. Eric used mainly Fender guitars- I think a Telecaster (and a Jazzmaster and/or Jaguar?). A little hazy on those details.

As far as Courtney- she's singing through a Telefunken 251 into a Neve 1073/ 1176/ GML 8200 chain. I don't recall the effect on her voice- that may have been added in mix.
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=fexurbis;8850017]
As far as Courtney- she's singing through a Telefunken 251 into a Neve 1073/ 1176/ GML 8200 chain.[QUOTE]

Classic friggin' chain, although I would've expected to see a Pulteq after the 1176 as opposed to the GML.

Thanks so much for your time!!
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Pultec was too soft and silky- that quality worked best for Melissa. It's my pleasure.
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexurbis View Post
Pultec was too soft and silky- that quality worked best for Melissa. It's my pleasure.
Ah ok, gotcha!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search