The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mother's Milk
Old 14th March 2013
Mother's Milk

Hi Mike,

Mother's Milk is such a greatly produced and ground breaking album.

I've read that there was a lot of disagreement about the guitar sound
but I love the tones you got on that.

I can imagine that tracking the vocals probably took a long time? ..and just wondered if you can share any stories from the experience of doing that record. Thx.
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Tom-

Thanks for your kind words regarding Mother's Milk.

This was an interesting record to make in that there was very little direction, two new people had recently joined the band (Chad, John) and the two principal members were almost never present. For better or worse, it was left up to me to define the sound of the recording.

The initial problem with guitars was that John played a dreadful Ibanez (I think Steve Vai model because he loved Steve Vai so much). The rest of the band (and I) hated this instrument and felt it rubbed against the band's aesthetics. He resisted giving it up, but I remember every time the band came around him, they would chant, "Sacrifice the Ibanez". One day, John showed up and I'd rented a Strat and a Les Paul and said he had to play those instead. He fought against this very hard but in the end, he gave in and the rest is history.

As far as the tones, they were harder than the band's previous music, but I felt that their new songs called for this and John was a different guitarist than Hillel. I think John may have been a little leery about the heavier tones but no one else in the band actually commented on this until most of the guitar had been recorded- by which time, it was too late to change anything.

The only other issue I can recall with guitars was the rhythm part for Higher Ground. When John originally brought it in, it was a 2 part phrase with two half notes in the first part and 6 eight notes on the second. I felt this didn't support the vocal phrase, slowed the song down and asked him to reverse the order of note values. I don't think he liked this very much but he eventually gave in.
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Yes, the vocals took a very long time.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Nut

I love the "sacrifice the ibanez" bit. As a guitar player I totally relate to buying tasteless instruments that feel ergonomic and shredtastic. I can't remember how many times I heard something similar about my tone until I got with the program and started purchasing more "classic" instruments (fender, gibson etc...). Very funny indeed.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search