The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goto Mics for Guitar
Old 13th March 2013
Goto Mics for Guitar

Hey,

I was wondering what your Go To mics are for recording guitar? Superunknown has some of the best guitar tones in rock IMO. are there any mic combinations that you find yourself going back to time and time again?

Thanks,
Ben Dial
Myroom Records
Myroom Records
Old 14th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Ben-

Thanks and yes- there are some definite first choice mics, although this changes depending on pertinent variables (room, player, amps, degree of transient response, etc). The SM57 is a great mainstay- I also love the RCA BK5 (A or B) which is a great ribbon mic and takes a lot of SPL (for a ribbon). That combination was the majority of the guitar mic array on Superunknown. There are others- AT 4047, Royer 122, on rare occasions, a U67, etc. I like to have a starting position with the most familiar variables- if only to get a baseline- and work from there. Beyond the basics, there is a lot of room for variability.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Nut

Michael, when you use a pair of mics on a cabinet do you tend to put two (or more mics) in one speaker or do you prefer put one mic on each speaker... I guess every case is different but making a comparison i´ve noticed a little bit better tone using the second method, maybe due to the phase issues...

Thanks again
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Could you be more specific in regards to the "Fell on Black Days" guitar sound, including the mic distance, signal path? I think it's one of the most natural and well balanced close/distant guitar sounds ever.... "Close", but not ice-pick in the ear close, and not washy-distant, and it doesn't sound like a bunch of mics blended...?
Old 15th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

RE; mic pairs, it depends on the speaker and the cabinet. In a 4x12 cab, I find each speaker is a little different- perhaps less so with 2x12's. Sometimes, this means a mic on each speaker, sometimes a cluster of mics on one. I have done records where I've used 2 mics on a cab and had as many as 4-5. Obviously, the more mics, the greater the phase issues, but this is usually easy to address.
Old 15th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Sure- "Fell on Black Days" was; a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a Marshall JMP 50 watt. The Marshall went into a matching slant 100 watt cab and the Mesa may have been another Marshall (I'm not 100% on this). Each cab had an SM57 and an RCA BK5B, all four of which were either a finger's width away or right on grille (which is often my preference). The rig was in the middle of the room which is slightly audible. This went into 4 Neve 1058's and were bussed together at the console (SSL 4k) and possibly a bit more eq added.

A combination of many great components, including a great room and a great rhythm guitarist (Chris) playing a great guitar.
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Such a revelation that Chris played most of the guitar on SuperUnknown. I knew that happened on Down on the Upside, but SuperUnknown? I think he just shot to the top of my 'favourite guitar players' list.
Old 15th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Yes- he played nearly all the rhythm guitar on the record. He just had better feel, tone and played with more aggression. And he used heavier gauge strings.
Old 15th March 2013
Chris is one of the most underrated and innovative guitar players of all time. What I love the most is that he still plays to support his voice and the emotional underpinnings of the song.

I finally found a good copy of Superunknown on vinyl. I highly recommend it. It's so vivid and that low end is so powerful it actually frightens me. I'm getting chills just typing this.

Thanks Michael for chiming in on this forum.

-derek
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

I should note that Superunknown is (and will always be) one of my favorite albums of all time. The production of the album is a large part of why it resonates with me and given the different productions the band has had, I think this it is safe to say that you nailed it on this one. I honestly can't thank you enough for your contribution to my musical existence.
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Thanks, guys- I appreciate your comments and glad the work connected so deeply with you.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search