The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass sound of "Celebrity skin"
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Head

Bass sound of "Celebrity skin"

Hi Michael!
Thank you for doing this Q&A!

The sound of "Celebrity skin" is one of the biggest I've ever heard and I often use that song as a reference for bass sound.
Can you tell us something about that?

Thank you very much!
Guybrush
Old 14th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Hi-

Thanks and it continues to be my pleasure.

Re; the bass on Celebrity Skin- I'm a bit hazy on some of the details. We definitely cut it with a Fender P, although I don't recall if it was Melissa's. The primary amp was a mid-70's SVT head with an 8x10 cab- probably same era. Pretty sure we augmented this with some kind of guitar amp for crunch- probably a Marshall- and honorable mention goes to Paul Northfield for that. I don't for the life of me recall the mics we used or the DI- but at that point, I generally integrated Neve 1058's into any bass/guitar recording I did. I don't recall any compression anywhere in the chain, although definitely some eq.

I tend to go for a bass sound that will augment the drum sound- so the drums often determine what kind of tonal properties the bass will have. This approach means that bass- and all instrument sounds- can be highly variable from project to project.
Old 14th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I also can't forget the DBX 120 X Subharmonic Synth which always gives the low end a little boost.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search