The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thunder underground
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Addict

Thunder underground

Almost twenty years past, and it still hits me right between the eyes. How did you work on this little piece of dirty magic?
Old 14th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

You mean the Ozzy song? I'm pleased it had such an impact on you. I was very fortunate- working with great musicians, a great engineer, had the luxury of time and a great recording budget. These elements usually guarantee that something will work in one's favor.

That project was the maiden voyage for the 2" 8 track format. The first time I saw the prototype unit, it had been shipped to us in Paris, where we were tracking. This machine was used exclusively for drums- everything else was recorded to 16 track A800's. At one point, we had two 16 track A800's synced with the 8 track. It was all pretty elaborate, but it sounded amazing. We tracked drums and bass at Guillaume Tell Studios and moved to Right Track in NYC for guitars and vocals. This was the first time I got to use an enormous array of subs with the drums and it sounded immense. The guitars were cut through a single JCM 800 with one of Zakk's Marshall bass cabs which was fitted with EVM 200 watt speakers and was shrouded in blankets, etc.*

Most of the depth we'd achieved was lost in the mix, but this taught me some very valuable lessons regarding preserving artistic vision.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search