The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Industry
Old 1st May 2008
The Industry

Hi Marshall,

Had a question before - but got deleted.

You mentioned how exposure is the most important thing now days, and that is why you recommended the major labels such as Atlantic, Universal, Sony etc...

But do those labels even like underground house music, these days? All I hear coming from those labels is pure mainstream stuff like Hip Hop, R&B, Pop, Rock whatever.

The other thing is that almost 90% of those labels above, do not accept demos from the artists; its got to be a known industry professional that needs to recommend your music (that is what it says on their site). Unfortonately I dont know anyone like that. So how would you recommend getting 'certain' individuals to hear your music, so they could recommend it to those labels?

Cheers thumbsup
Show replies
Old 1st May 2008
Lives for gear

Underground music is no problem; the only reason you're only hearing hip hop, r&b, and pop is because that's all that's being brought to the majors.

As far as getting those "known industry professionals"to recommend your music, I'll have to look into that because I haven't really gone that route myself. 20 years ago, I just kept calling the labels until they would schedule a meeting, but things are different now.
Show replies
Old 2nd May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

thats pretty crazy that those labels dont acept demos ,
i realy didnt know that ... so that clears a lot of things up for me

MySpace.com - steffen baldo - cologne, DE - House / Electronica / Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/steffenbaldo
Show replies
Old 3rd May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Marshall,

that's exactly why I was so upset by your recommendation to just dump all the dance indy labels and go straight to a major label, and after I asked what you thought to be a major label you said Universal, Sony, etc... (too bad the post got lost).

You also wrote to basically forget about releasing your music digitally on sites like beatport (funny though that you seem to be represented pretty well on beatport), forget about releasing 300 vinyl's only, etc...

Care to re-elaborate about your reasoning? (If i remember correctly it ws because the OP in that thread asked you about how to best get your music out there)
Show replies
Old 3rd May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I know it sounds weird, but Beatport and sites like that can work only if you already have a recognizable name, and even then it's really hard to make a living off there. As for my label USB Records, we're about to expand our promotion and start doing videos on every song. We're going to keep putting out stuff on Beatport and download sites because the artists want their music out fast, and that's the fastest way to do it.
Show replies
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear