The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your 'go to' product...
Old 21st June 2016
Here for the gear
What's your 'go to' product...

Hi Mark.
Firstly many thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, and your previous posts have been very interesting and informative.

I'm wondering whether you have a particular product, or combination (software / hardware / synth / plugin etc.) that has always been your 'go to', and why?

Many thanks.

Simon.
Old 21st June 2016
Special Guest

Hi Simon,

Cheers, well I'm glad some people have found my waffling interesting

I don't really have any go to things really, i try to not do things the same way or at least keep a eye on that.

I do use Fabfilter proq2 as my go to eq for sorting issues and i have other plug ins or effects that i know that there is a chance that it will do what i want.

Its just my method really and the fact that i can spend time on stuff and not under time pressure. If i was working in a studio for someone else and it was costing money i would totally be more organised and pick up certain paths for things. But i just do my own stuff here in my studio.

I like to make it hard for myself and challenge myself and it keeps it interesting and ups the chances of doing something different. Thats more so towards the writing stage but also a applies to mixing as well.

I know the characteristics of my synths and i will go to certain ones if I'm after a certain things. But i can't think of any specific combos. I like to do tracks with no plug ins and i like doing all plug ins or a combo of both.

I mentioned b4 my Go to sub is the Trillian Arp 2600 Sine, ill try other things though sometimes, but i know if i want a big sub that I'm not really going to have to do much to ill go for that. All i really have to do it is cut some really low end 10-30hz. Then if i want to hear the note a bit more if its really low i may bus it to some distortion and mix that in really subtle. I use the EFM plug in logic sometimes if i want a more techno knocky bass or Grime type bass, that thing kicks out huge bass sometimes! You def need to cut really low end on that thing, speakers start popping out.

Cheers Mark
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Nut

Mark, Nice to read you also buy some weird old synths like the Hillwood Blue Comets. I guess thats a Roland SH-1000 ripoff or something?
I remember Hillwood was the same company as or merged with Multivox and they 'boroughed' some of korgs and rolands designs.

Anyway, So you don't have a certain good to machine or combo, but i guess you must have a favorite machine.
If you had to choose one hardware machine to keep as your only hardware, what would it be and why?
Old 22nd June 2016
Special Guest

Hi Monotron,

Yeah the Hillwood is pretty odd, part preset and you can edit it a bit. Very unstable Quite a aggressive sounding.

If i had to choose one Synth it would be the Minimoog, For the way the waveforms sound to the ease of use and versatility, it still comes up with things i haven't heard it do from time to time. It just sounds good, sits in the mix, you don't have to do much to it ever.

I had a remake of it once and it was fine but the original one sounded better, subtle stuff though, top end feels smoother and more natural is the only way i can describe it. Ive played on a voyager, great extra stuff on it but if i had the 2 i would use the original for the same reason. I guess its certain components inside that were used. Also people have said that they all sound different slightly anyway so maybe i got a especially good one.
It has only gone wrong twice since 1994 ish. Actually it needs fixing now, 3rd Osc has frozen, so the pot itself isn't moving. I asked someone about it and they said actually that could be a pain in the arse to fix, Hopefully not though.

Cheers Mark
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
Actually it needs fixing now, 3rd Osc has frozen, so the pot itself isn't moving. I asked someone about it and they said actually that could be a pain in the arse to fix, Hopefully not though.
No doubt you've been in touch with Steve "Triez" Jones from synthrepairs. He's the authorised moog man. I wonder if the re-release has any bearing on potentiometer availability. My osc 3 tune pot needs to be swapped/fixed.

Last edited by nutjob; 25th June 2016 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: hyperlinked boardmember
Old 23rd June 2016
Special Guest

Yes Steve fixed it the last time it went wrong and a few other things, he is great, but i think last time i contacted him he was really busy. Very reasonable trust worthy guy and will try his best to find a way to sort something and save $ without compromising anything.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search