The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Way/ The Deep and Jedi Knights
Old 14th June 2016
Here for the gear

The Way/ The Deep and Jedi Knights

Hi Mark,

could you talk a bit please about the gear used and the process of making The Way/ The Deep (secret ingredients Mix)
It's probably one of my favourite House tracks of all time, so much feeling in it and as you mentioned in another thread it's all these little details, like what you did with the Dexter Wansel sample that evolve through the track(we do notice them )
Also what was your working relationship like with Tom, did you have specific roles in the studio, one thing he was better at than you and vice versa?

And also a big fan of your Jed Knights stuff, One for MAW and Solina being big favourites, what was involved in the making of those?

Thanks a lot.
Old 14th June 2016
Special Guest

Cheers Mood Organ,

I think with The Way it was sampled into my Emax 2 One for Maw was also done with that. You can hear the crunchiness of it. I really loved the sound of Kenny Dopes music that 8 bit ish vibe which would have been SP12, I Didn't have a SP12 Till a bit later than those tracks. But the Emax gave us a similar vibe. So some of it was in the Emax and some would have been in S3000 Or by then i also had a EMU E6400. Actually may have just got one, The way was 1996 and the EMU came out 1996. Im pretty sure at that point we were using Cubase on the Atari. The High string was Vintage Keys and probably the Rhodes as well. But it could have been my Rhodes 73. It doesn't sound played live though so i reckon it was Vintage keys. There is also a chance with the way that we sampled it into the Emax II and then re sampled it back into the S3000 or Emu and used the filters in there. Im pretty sure thats the case because of the loops on the samples.

Regarding roles we really did both do all of it, some tracks i would do the drums others tom would. We both bought samples to the table, we were both record diggers.
We both liked arranging and mixing down.

I think Tom did bring the Dexter Wansel sample in though.

On One for Maw the mad sound that comes in half way through was the MS20.

We used to run kicks and snares through a Phonic PCL 3200 Compressor Limiter, it also has a gate on it and a Side chain in. I still have that, its a cheap thing and very brutal sounding. The link to the Phonic looks different to the one i had, mine is Black.

Solina - I had a Arp Solina, Sold it though b4 i moved to Australia :( I sampled every note on every setting out of it though b4 i sold it. Still haven't finished making the EXS24 for that i think its almost done now though. Fretless bass/Double bass ish sound was Vintage Keys. Mellotron that comes in at the end was also Vintage Keys. Phaser on the Solina is Roland Phase II SP2 Pedal. Vocoder that comes in after the break down and at the end is Tom using the Roland VP330.

Cheers for asking about Solina, hadn't listened to it for a while made me smile
Old 16th June 2016
Here for the gear

any chance of Jedi Knights getting a reissue?
Old 16th June 2016
Special Guest

Hi Hayhook,

Yes, its on the list, Theres a lot to get through but we are looking to do it all.

Cheers Mark
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Mark, i can't believe you are here answering questions, 'the way' (secret ingredients) is surely my all time favorite track, it is the reason why i got into music. I might have anyway but still believe it contributed big time to it. I really did listen to that track very very closely the arrangement is ace, it obviously shows that both you and Tom liked arrangements and mix downs as you say.

My biggest question and what i like about the secret ingredients mix most is the synth sound in the second part, doing the outro for quite a bit of the second part it goes till the end. What is that synth?

Second question is what drums did you use? You already said you both brought samples to the table and did quite a bit of digging. I would presume the drums are sampled off records? They sound great. Again i can't tell you good enough how much i like this track, the arrangement and all the sounds in it. I hope i don't embarrass you too much by stating it over and over again

Cheers for the answers to the other questions i also had them, like what were the strings and how did you sequence it.
Old 21st June 2016
Special Guest

Cheers Tony,

That high melody is a Rhodes with a Lfo on it and attack on the front and then delayed.

Drums wise can't really mention what that is Although I'm not sure people are getting done for drum samples nowadays. But just incase! Its a drum break though for the Kick snare and closed Hat, sampled and reprogrammed. Pretty sure by this point EMU E6400.

Mark
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
Cheers Tony,

That high melody is a Rhodes with a Lfo on it and attack on the front and then delayed.

Drums wise can't really mention what that is Although I'm not sure people are getting done for drum samples nowadays. But just incase! Its a drum break though for the Kick snare and closed Hat, sampled and reprogrammed. Pretty sure by this point EMU E6400.

Mark
Mark, thanks a lot for your reply, that melody is really good. Really appreciated, it's quite an experience asking questions about this track and getting answers. All the best to you Mark!

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search