The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Basssssss on A Badman Sound
Old 14th June 2016
Basssssss on A Badman Sound

Hi Mark,
I have a quick question for you please: how did you get that so big? Reverb?

https://www.discogs.com/Mark-Pritcha...elease/8395080
Old 14th June 2016
Special Guest

Hello!

Actually its the Hillwood Blue Comets 73. All of the synth sounds in it are that.

It came up on ebay over here and i had to buy it, had never seen one b4. Weird quirky Synth, has presets but is also tweakable. Pretty random on its tuning and scaling though. Actually Melodyne DNA has changed my life in that respect, i don't worry as much now about tuning or tuning over different octaves with my old synths. When they did the update where you could select all one specific note I don't tune it all perfect but you can see roughly how much everything is landing tuning wise and just bring stuff that is a bit too out back in.

Yes its a big reverb on that bass, i love doing that but its not that often you can get away with it. I think its reverb and then in some sections the reverb is going to a distortion as well subtly. I pre delayed the verb to get it out the way of the main sub a bit.

Other bass tips -

I always send stems to the mastering just incase I've made the bass too big! Or of coarse sometimes not enough, So on a Instr club track it will be track no bass and then bass only.

If its a track with vocals i would do those 2 stems and then a vocal only. That way it gives John Dent at Loud mastering a bit more control if needed if stuff is getting Limited at all. But i would only suggest doing that if its a mastering person you have worked with for a while and trust.

Other than that, Shift the bassline late, i would say my Basses are anywhere from 21 - 121 clicks on logic event float late. Maybe even further Depending on the tempo and type of track and feel that i want. It helps with Kick and bass clashing and its also how i like my music to sound.

Heres a example of a late bassline that love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBi2HpARtSc
Old 14th June 2016
Monster bass! thank you for the answer
Old 19th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
Shift the bassline late, i would say my Basses are anywhere from 21 - 121 clicks on logic event float late. Maybe even further Depending on the tempo and type of track and feel that i want. It helps with Kick and bass clashing and its also how i like my music to sound.
Useful insight. Thanks for sharing.
Old 20th June 2016
Special Guest

Bass and kick clashing is the number one issue i have on every dance music track mix wise, Shifting the bass late can really help that. Other than that it can be side chaining or sometimes if i have a really tricky one ill automate a eq on the kick for when it lands the same time as a bass note. If the bassline is repeating i just copy the Automation on to a part and copy that through the track and if there are bass edits change it for those parts. The Fabfilter ProQ2 Has that really handy input side chain function where you can input say the bass and see where it is in relation to the Kick. But really its usually a Hi cut which i automate up if i need to on certain notes. Sometimes it maybe a subtle notch. Its never really ever the same each track is different, but those 3 things are ways i look at trying to sort it. Or just try a different kick or Bass sound if you really can't get it to work. Ill do everything i can b4 that though to see if i can get it to work.
Old 20th June 2016
Good tips! Thanks again Mark!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search