The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tips
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Tips

Hi Mark, what would be your best tips for someone just starting to learn producing music?
Old 13th June 2016
Special Guest

Hi Chouby,

What kind of music is it your looking to make? As there are some suggestions specific to different styles.

For example if you wanted to make techno or house i would say watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKzHpsQkxo But then that depends on your budget.
But that video of Gerald there doing his thing is a great lesson in itself.

If i was starting out now and wanted to make Hiphop for example i would say buy a MPC as from that you can learn a load of good basic lessons about limitations and the importance of Groove and the fun of hitting pads and the focus of everything being in one place.

Of coarse you can get whatever DAW that suits you and make music on that but i think that can be pretty daunting for some people starting out.

Other than that, watch some Dave Pensado Videos or any RBMA lectures specific to the area of music that you are into or not actually as it doesn't really matter as often you get interesting angles from people that make completely different music. Or if you know someone that makes music sit in on a session with them and see how they do it and you may find methods that relate to what you want to do. I watch videos with Dave from time to time, they're great, he's a passionate giving guy and his guests are always like minded.

Don't get too carried away with Listening to good comments or bad criticism either is dangerous. Work hard and do what you want to do and be open to as much different music as possible.

If you like a certain genre and style or artist when anyone starts out its natural to copy or mimic that but keep a eye on the end game which is to find your own voice in that style. Unless you are just in it to make money Which i guess most people here aren't.

Now a days its easy to do the research, all the info is there, look at the roots of whatever style you are into, ill use Gerald again seems i posted that link above and i'm a massive fan Gerald was into soul and was around sound system culture, Also a dancer Got inspired by Detroit techno and Chicago house was also into Electro and loves funk. Probably loads of other music as well. And through all of that found his own voice. When you hear a track from him you know its him.

Be honest, don't be a afraid, have fun, be open to everything. Also don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your answer Mark. Love your new album by the way!
Old 14th June 2016
Special Guest

No worries, Cheers.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search