The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum mic combinations? Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Drum mic combinations?

When tracking live drums, what combinations of mic's do you like best in what positions? I know this is a loaded question relative to the song, style, room, player, and drum tuning. I'm just finishing up a home studio that is targeted at recording drums at home.

So perhaps I should be more specific, and ask what you would use out of my mic locker on my kit.

The Drum kit is: DW 1998 14X4.5 wood snare, 20X14 kick, toms are power 8,10,12,14. With an alternate kick (Ludwig 22X16) and alternate snare (Tama/sound lab project 14X4.5 -Steel). Cymbals are fairly typical. Large crash left, med crash right. China on far right can cause some mic placement limits. 21" ping ride. Cow bell over the center toms.

Here is the locker:
Advanced Audio: pair-CM87se, CM47se, (4)-CM47FET, CM28, DM-20
Coles: pair-4038
Groove Tubes: MD1A, MD3
Soundelux: U95S
Lawson: 47
AKG: (3) MD409-U3, (2) D1000E, D12E, Norelco Rocket
Pair-Latvian RM-5
Line Audio: pair-CM3
Shure: (4) SM57, SM7B
Sennheiser: (4) e906. (2)311, 431, 441
Audio Technica: ATM-25
Electro Voice: RE-20
Neumann: 105
Sony: C-450, (2) CV-300
Hiel: PR-40
Homemade Sub-kick

I won't list the preamps, but I do have a wide selection for a proper match with any kind of mic.

Style
My drumming style ranges from Pop, Heavy metal, Blues, Prog. I can't point to to examples of my playing. But I can point you to a similar feel from my cousin who played for AMERICA for 41 years. The Song Tin Man is a good example of a shuffle feel I commonly play. My style was started using the Tom work of Neal part, The Snare of Stewart Copeland, and the Crash/Kick placement of Phil Collins. A 3 over 4 feel, or a paradiddle with a triplet feel are kind of built into my playing. My kick is early, and my snare late to give the feel some sex appeal. I fully believe a good drummer does not get in the way of the song, especially the vocals. I am not a country player who always stays right in the pocket. My parents were swing musicians from the big band era. If you are wondering, Age 50.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 10th September 2016 at 06:20 PM..
Old 10th September 2016
special guest

Drum mic combinations?

I use a TLM 170 on the kick with an NS10 sub and a U47 out mic. On the snare I use a Heil PR22 ( use to use a beyer 740 but it has gotten smacked a lot) and anSm57 on the bottom. Over's I use C12As or Sanken CU47s. HH AKG 414 and toms either Heil PR40s or SENN 421s and Rooms a combo of either C12As or Manley refs. I will have a few mono mics center like a 57 for talk back and maybe an AEA ribbon. I also use Shure beta 91s on the kick sometimes. For pre's I am using Neve 1081's and Daking's .
There is a lot of stuff on your list I have not used ( I have used pretty much the same set up for a while) . Love the Cole's on overs but I would probably just get someone else to hit the drums and try some different mics in different spots and come up with a solution that sounds great in your room on your drums. There are lot of variables at work here and a day of experimentation sounds like in order.
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

So in general you like:
47 flavor overheads/outside kick
full spectrum dynamics on toms
and a very phase coherent snare top

The coles 4038 is my favorite mic but is not the right choice for many songs.
I can't afford the real neumann's. I put that locker together for under $15K by trolling ebay for three years. The only ones I purchased new were the Coles with a favorable exchange rate. The MD409-U3's are my best tom mics in my room.
Old 11th September 2016
special guest

Drum mic combinations?

I would start with the Coles as LR room mics, the sound delux as a mono room.heil pr 40 as a top snare and a sm57 bottom, Kick a D12 and your sub, a pair of condensor mics on overs and one on the ride ( maybe the Sonys) and see what works best on the toms. Maybe try a couple of crazy room mics to see if you come up with something cool
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search