The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advise to a serious home studio guy Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Advise to a serious home studio guy

Mark,

I truly appreciate the opportunity to ask this question as I have never had the opportunity to dialog with someone of your status.

To piggyback on the question from @diogo_c.....what would be the one nugget of wisdom that you might impart to someone like myself who may never get into a real studio but who is still seriously intent on producing the best possible recordings in that back bedroom in front of a computer screen?

Thanks so much for this.
Old 9th September 2016
special guest

Advise to a serious home studio guy

My studio is on my property at home now and I like to think it is a real studio! Get a computer, a good preamp and mic and a set of speakers that you listen to everything on so you know what a great mix sounds like on them and start making tracks. My first studio was a 4 channel tube mic pre /mixer with a bass and treble control , 2 mics and an old Sony 2 track. Just do it a lot and the other stuff will come.
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Needham View Post
My studio is on my property at home now and I like to think it is a real studio! Get a computer, a good preamp and mic and a set of speakers that you listen to everything on so you know what a great mix sounds like on them and start making tracks. My first studio was a 4 channel tube mic pre /mixer with a bass and treble control , 2 mics and an old Sony 2 track. Just do it a lot and the other stuff will come.
It's a real studio for sure

Mark of all the gear you listed, and given how good the inexpensive tools are these days ... would you agree that monitoring is really the most important tool for a young mixer? To listen, learn and work?

It used to be that Genelec 1031s were close to the low end, or Event 20/20s, or Mackie HR 824s ... now there are $300/pair speakers sold as professional tools and people are mixing on earbuds and headphones.

Obviously a smart person can eventually learn to mix on anything, but physics is physics, and many rooms need a lot of help.

What's your take on monitoring as a tool for the home studio folks?
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search