The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix bus compression Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict

Mix bus compression

Hi, Mark! Thanks for doing this. It's very cool and an awesome resource to get insight into such an experienced mixer's process.

Here are my two questions:

1) What's your view on mix bus compression? Do you like to set one up on the 2 bus and mix into it, do you never do that, or does it change base on the circumstances?

2) What are some of your favorite or go-to compressors for different instrument tracks that could use some compression (e.g., vocals, guitars, drum buses)?

Thanks again!
Old 2nd September 2016
special guest

Mix bus compression

Right now I have kind of a complicated stereo buss path and I am mixing through it. I change this up sometimes so just to keep things interesting or to get a particular over all feel.Right now I usually start with this and use more of one or another depending on the song
Shadow Hills compressor
SSL G buss
K stereo
Maag EQ
Precision Multiband
ATR 102
Varible Mu
Curve Bender
These are all UAD plug-ins
For Vocals I usually use a combo of a silver face 1176 and silver LA2A
Electric guitars I use the SSL G a lot
Acoustic guitars I like the silver 1176
My drum buss is kind of crazy with 3 different parallel compression buss's and distortion FX and I am using a few different drum compressors on the individual drums.And sometimes I don't use any at all. I guess it depends on what I am going for on any particular song
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Needham View Post
Right now I have kind of a complicated stereo buss path and I am mixing through it. I change this up sometimes so just to keep things interesting or to get a particular over all feel.Right now I usually start with this and use more of one or another depending on the song
Shadow Hills compressor
SSL G buss
K stereo
Maag EQ
Precision Multiband
ATR 102
Varible Mu
Curve Bender
These are all UAD plug-ins
For Vocals I usually use a combo of a silver face 1176 and silver LA2A
Electric guitars I use the SSL G a lot
Acoustic guitars I like the silver 1176
My drum buss is kind of crazy with 3 different parallel compression buss's and distortion FX and I am using a few different drum compressors on the individual drums.And sometimes I don't use any at all. I guess it depends on what I am going for on any particular song
Hi Mark, I favor many of the exact same tools and methods...just without all your pesky experience and talent! About that drum setup - are you generally establishing the parallel bus sounds first, or the individual kit sounds? Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2016
special guest

Mix bus compression

I usually build both together , in other words I am changing my drum buss compression as I am getting sounds
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search