The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Flow
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Flow

Hey Wic

Thanks for answering my questions with such detail!

It's easy to tell how you become one with your gear as it translates through your music. You capture a certain essence with your live performances which is definitely not easy to accomplish - especially when we know that red REC button is activated.

I have a couple of related questions so feel free to respond as you wish.
  • How do you get yourself in the moment where everything just flows?
  • You mentioned you do everything in 1 take but what happens when you love everything about a performance except for 1 thing - do you do it all over again?
  • Are you rehearsing a lot before you decide to record or simply allow yourself to just be and perform?
  • How do you separate yourself from perfection? So what I mean here is that the slightest tweak to the left or right makes a big difference with analog gear and there's no undo button like in a DAW. So, how do you keep the ship running so tight when everything is so liquid?

Thank you!
Old 19th February 2016
Special Guest
Good questions!

Quote:
1 - How do you get yourself in the moment where everything just flows?
Go with the flow :-), and assume that you only partly under control.
Try to be open to coincidences
Quote:
2 - You mentioned you do everything in 1 take but what happens when you love everything about a performance except for 1 thing - do you do it all over again?
No, I'm not doing it all over again. I leave it. It makes no sense to continue until everything is 100% perfect, because that's usually not feasible. I always do a few takes, but at the end the first one is usualy the best. In the beginning I still have most of the focus, and I am much more concentrate on the flow instead of perfection.
Quote:
3 - Are you rehearsing a lot before you decide to record or simply allow yourself to just be and perform?
I rehearse a little, but absolutely not a lot. I want the idea still to be fresh when I go to recording. Otherwise it is no good for the spontaneity
Quote:
4 - How do you separate yourself from perfection? So what I mean here is that the slightest tweak to the left or right makes a big difference with analog gear and there's no undo button like in a DAW. So, how do you keep the ship running so tight when everything is so liquid?
First of all, I realize very well that perfection is boring. I like the raggedness very much. At the same time, I also want it to be tight from time to time. Knowing your gear is the key I think. I know what a slightest tweak to the left or right do on every synth I have in my studio, so that keep's me running the ship :-)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search