The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Video shooting
Old 10th February 2016
Here for the gear

Video shooting

Hi Thijs,

How do you plan and do you video's? Do you decide in advance per song which equipment you're going to use and take it with you, or do you just improvise?

Are the video's live?

Regards,
Jeroen
Old 21st February 2016
Special Guest
Ha Jeroen,

Yes, before I shoot the video, I thought about the track, the equipment, lights and the setting and the cams. I prepare the track for 75%. The rest I leave it for the moment. I choose the equipment that I think fits together for the track.
Mostly I shoot the video at home. I think in advance if I want to stand (most of the jams), or sit (Jam 1, 2), or sit on the ground (Jam 15).

Other video's with featurings are on location. The video's with Dave (drummer) I recorded in the "sandlane" studio.

I have a few canon cams, a dolly, a set of lights with dimmers and a friend with a 5m crane :-). The jams I do alone, and the video's at location I do with a small team of three guys. (we rent some extra cams if necessary).

All my video's are live performances. Mostly I do a few takes (somewhere around 5/6). Then I edit the movie myself in final cut.

For the last jam 18, I did only one take, including the ms202 editing :-)
Old 23rd February 2016
So you organize the video shoot all by yourself?
Where did you learn, how to do that? How do you organize your team? Or do you rely on professional video guys?

I noticed that the Herman Brood Academy offers education in sound and light but not in video or video editing?
Sound and Light engineering
So my second question is: What would you recommend to artists that want to learn how to do this themselves?
Old 24th February 2016
Special Guest
Yes, I organize it by myself with help from others. My brother is always in the team. We have the same taste, and always know exactly what is needed. He's the one who runs our wic-recording label by the way. Besides my brother, I often get help from two other guys/friends. This also depends on the setting. One is a professional photographer, and the other is a amateur camera man. He's the one who ownes a big crane, you can see very well in this shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjibPYKncsc (1.58 sec).

About making video's, I'm totaly selfmade, and learned everything by just doing it. I'm not a professional, but I know what I want. I've always been very interested in the pictures, movies, etc, but never had a lesson in.
For editing I use final cut pro. That works for me just as intuitive as for example logic.

What I should recommend to artists that want to learn how to do this themselves, is:
Buy a camera, a dolly (or stand) and final cut pro. Ask a friend to help you, and GO FOR IT!.
To begin, I really think it's that simple. By doing it, you get more and more ideas. Having ideas is more important than skills in the beginning. (skills you can always learn during the process).

Indeed, the HermanBroodAcademy has no education in video. Who knows in the future.... :-)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search