The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electribe Sampler: ESX-1 or the new one?
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Electribe Sampler: ESX-1 or the new one?

A couple more for you...

I know you've mentioned a fondness for the Electribe samplers in the past. I'm curious if you have a preference for either the older ESX-1 or the newer model?

And most importantly, what is your favorite episode of In Search Of?
Old 9th October 2017
Special Guest

I like the new one because its polyphonic and has that kaos-pad thing...I use it as a hardware sequencer mainly, especially with the scale function its fun to sequence synths with that thing. The old ESX is more rhythm orientated I guess, more like a drummachine with a bunch of monophonic melody tracks....good for 'jack'-tracks and raw simple house tracks (Seaside Houz Boyz, Salamandos and stuff like that is all ESX)

the new Electribe opens up more interesting paths into melodic experiments....it goes a littlebit deeper.

I also like that they got rid of the useless 'fake' tubes...I always found those rather fatuous.

It really sucks the new Electribe doesn't have a useable transpose function though...reallly really weird - I mean its not like a technical limit - its like at a design meeting in Japan they were: 'ok we got everything cool - lets f*ck a bit with the customers and delete the transpose function and replace it with pulsating LEDs in various colors so it looks like a tuned guido cruiser - the EDM crowd will love it they don't even know what transpose means so who gives a &#*#*$*$!"

but yeah what you going to do about it
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yep seems like the Electribe Sampler is always destined to have at least one slightly gimmicky, not really useful feature. Thanks again for the insight.
📝 Reply