The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Virtual Synths & Producing on Tour Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

Virtual Synths & Producing on Tour

Hi Smackos,

its very intresting to read all that stuff here. the most things have been answered.

my question is when you on tour or not in your studio do you like to try virtual synths free or commercial ones, just for fun or use them in your production. or do you produce tracks with your own samples you have on your laptop. is there a softsynth you really like ? this question is not very creative i know
Old 7th October 2017
special guest

heyo lenad

Sure I use both free and commercial soft synths a lot when I am on the road but also at home, I don't really differentiate between soft and hardware synths as an ingredient in music to be used at certain places...but outside of the studio its fantastic to have these things.

Some stuff I use and like:

TAL - almost everything this guy made I have used: the Juno's, The 101's, The delays, those weirder earlier free synths. The old free ones might not be the greatest sound-wise sometimes but they are true workhorses, and you can always find some brilliant sweet spots to work around their limits. My Coverti World - Grenzgebiete der Psycho Hygiene release is almost entirely made with free TAL softsynths (except the drums)

OBXD - A free Oberheim inspired sofsynth with a particular sound
SYNTH1 - A free Japanese soft synth very versatile
LEGEND - A very thick minimoog emulator
The Korg Legacy plugins (particularly the M1), Waldorf Wave, Sylenth (a bit of hardtrance atmosphere around that one but its a very very good soft synth) and some other stuff

DEXED - nice free DX7 emulator (still no portamento ? :D) I love programming sounds for this while waiting at airports, gives a serene zen state, a very Brian Eno-esque activity.

But I also use my own sample packs in Ableton's simpler of course.

A lot of time its difficult to really get into the zone producing when touring though, I almost never make music in airplanes, there is too much background noise and distractions. Trains are much nicer to produce, I still remember have fond times with my Yamaha QY70 on the Shinkansen.
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

thanks alot for your good answer. yes they are all intruments aslong they sound good. ok i know them all and use them too. i´m a big fan of free synths sometimes they are more experimenting and exotic ones like some commercial ones.that is why i ask. i could also say alot to all that synths you use but it would be to much bla bla. some synths like sylenth have a bit of stuck in some genre for the most people but i don´t care about that you can always press init and yes and it sounds really good.

i can imagine its difficult to make music on airports and stuff but having fun with synths in a eno-esque activity and i´m pretty sure sometimes you won´t make music everyday too.

intresting to hear that you make the my coverti world - genzgebiete der psycho hygiene all with softsynths. because for me it sounds not like that but who hears the difference today just maybe the smackos tape station on the drums thanks for that also i use it alot

i don´t know if you care but i wanna say one of my favorite releases from you are ufo onderzoek 1983 with lijnvlucht k203 bestemming trondheim still amazing. and The rise and fall of manuel noriega with sepecat. but i anyways i like 99,9 % of your releases too thanks for all your good music and your sharing of your samples too wich i really like. if you make another one please from the jp4 or from a synth wich it hard to get. sorry i´m very outrageous

for the future would be great to hear a track with you and ferrence he should make music again. thanks again for your answer maybe see you tonight in frankfurt if i have i find time to get there...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search