The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Larger projects - ep - lp
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Larger projects - ep - lp

Hi Danny,

Firstly, thank you for doing this q&a, it's rad.

Could you give some tips and techniques for making larger projects, say an ep or an album.

From your wide experience of making them, what are some of the key things you've learnt. Do you give yourself themes, or time limits if not imposed by labels for example?

Any tips or suggestions for seeing through a larger project like this to the end and knowing when to finish?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Anyway all the best!
Old 14th October 2017
special guest

Its important to make the time so you can get into 'deep' work focus...no distractions, no social stuff, complete solitude usually for 5 days or so to finish an album. While working on the music I also work on the artwork, think up the tracktitles and decide on the trackorder/listing....it becomes a sort of artistic feedback loop.

I definitely give myself a time limit...but yeah there are different ways of doing this, some albums or projects come together in a more fragmented time span....like its just a bunch of tracks I made over a few months put together...but stuff like the Nightwind records are made in a deep focus trip...making an album in such manner is an interesting transcendent almost mystical experience

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search