The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Playing Live Desktop Synthesizers
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Nut

Playing Live

You clearly have a fondness for vintage gear, but it appears that you generally use contemporary hardware when playing live. Do you ever bring out the vintage "big guns" (synths or drum machines) for live performances? Or have you tried in the past?
Old 30th September 2017
special guest

Hello Spertia. In the past (late 90s, early 2000’s) we didn’t have choice: TR808, TB303, Junos and especially the SH101 were brought out to live shows…all kinds of stuff that is super expensive these days.

It is of course difficult to bring big synths to a live show when you have to take the plane. Also I don’t really want to take the small vintage stuff because it breaks down eventually when you travel with it…even If you pack it really good, it sometimes gets hectic, people spill beer over it at the club, sweat in the clubs or sand at festivals…you don’t want that stuff on your TR808 I am also not very delicate handling stuff…the machines get manhandled pretty heavy at shows. I got a whole box with broken TR707’s and other stuff.

So I rather take ‘expendable’ stuff that is easy to replace and for that matter the modern gear is much more designed with playing live in mind, electribes in particular…there are so many ways to use them live you can really improvise on them. The cool thing is that they are small too, people always complain about Roland Boutiques and Korg Volca’s being so small, but its really f*ckin handy if you have to carry all that stuff by yourself all over the world.

But sometimes in Holland if there is a car I bring something like the JX3P (which is awesome for live because of its polyphonic step sequencer)…sometimes even my Doepfer modular system….or if the promoter somewhere else can arrange that stuff that happens sometimes too. For my Occult Orientated Crime project I bring my friend Elektrovolt and we have a barrage of synths with us.
Old 2nd October 2017
Here for the gear

Any tips for live performance?

First off - huge fan, I love your work!

Curious what your workflow is for live sets and if you have any tips. I'm starting to perform myself with a hardware setup and am looking for ways to streamline. Are you using Abelton and/or a Push or Push-like controller? iPad? How do you transition between tracks?

P.S. When's the next Venom 18 record coming out?!

- Zach
Old 4th October 2017
<moderator message - simular topic - threads merged>

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search