The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lack of inspiration on day X Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 29th September 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Lack of inspiration on day X

How do you combat it?
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

also interested in this
Old 29th September 2017
special guest

Hello Don, love your JD/JV tips and patches (I presume thats the same Don)

I guess there are 2 different situations these occur:

When you are just making music for yourself, for some far off future release…free floating no pressure style, then I just do something else, program some new sounds, re-invent the studio, make music in a completely different style that will inspire. Or just do another hobby or clean up the house, take a walk. If your mind doesn’t want so be it.

But sometimes you are forced to finish something: a remix or release deadline and then it can be very tedious when you get stuck without inspiration or in this zone of lazyness…I guess laziness is basicly the essence of having no inspiration
thats why 90% of remixes are pretty crap and useless of course including mine haha…its a gamble that labels and the artist that has to be remixed take…a Russian roulette…when the stars and moon are in the right angle, the artist is in an inspirational mood and the energy levels are high maybe….then maybe the remix will be cool.

But of course you can apply the solution to the first situation to this one too, just make a remix in a different style, make a slow jam or ambient remix instead of a boring thirteen in a dozen techno one…if the label gets mad or doesn’t like it well they are jus a bunch of w*nkers

A few more constructive approaches when inspiration is running empty were described in my Shadowwolf Cyberzine (http://legowelt.org/cyberzine/):

A PSYCHOLOGICAL MENTAL INSPIRATIONAL RITUAL
This is a strange tip that might actually work when you are producing or working on tracks and you feel its not going so well...It could be writer's block, just plain laziness or even just lack of skill. Get rid of those mind states with this semi-magickal mind trick: Have a record player with a random record running somewhere in your studio while you are working, no sound just have it somewhere in the corner of your eye and occasionally look at it while you check your own song (If the sound of the needle is too loud still just lift the arm over the record but let the record keep turing). This will make your perceivement of the music you are working on different, You trick your mind because your unfinished track is transposed to you seeing a finished format in action and this might give you some more inspiration and motivation..This might sound weird but try it…it might work for you!

KEYBOARD REVERSE
Are you lacking inspiration??? Reverse the keyboard! Sit behind your synth, just turn it around so you are facing the backside. You will be pleasently surprised how different you sound! Now you will make your melodieswith switched brain halves so to speak! You can do this switching brain halves trick with a lot of other stuff too!

SAMPLE YOURSELF
Sample your own tracks, stuff you never going to use, sketches, even ur hits and mangle them, pitch them up, down, filter it, modulate it etc. Make fresh tracks with ur own sounds. Keep using the music as a fractal on and on.

AMBIENT MOOD LIGHTING - Try different colors of light in your studio at night. And try different shades of dimmed light. Green, Red, Blue, Purple or mix them together. See what effect it has on your music and mind.

AMBIENT FRAGRANCES - Just as different colors and shades of light can influence your producing mood, so can smells. Fragance oils (mint, elderflower etc.) incense, herbs etc. Or be like PRINCE and make your studio smell like lavender.
Old 29th September 2017

Some really nice ideas, man! The one with the record is 100% original and can't wait to try it. Kudos!!!

So far the only quick "restore" button that i have found is to go 7-10 km run / fast walk combo next to a river. I get home, take a shower and suddenly the studio looks so new, i feel like a kid in a candy store. After years of search and suffer, it was a life changing experience for me. And i've tried everything in the past.

Re: JV/JD patches, yeah, that's the same Don Solaris guy. I moderate this forum in my spare time, but work in sound design manufacture the rest.

BTW, man I must admit i was 99.9% you were already a member in here. Now i guess it was a friend of yours all this time. Ha! Don't want to mention any nicknames for obvious privacy reasons... so let's just call him "a mister who likes electrons".

Talk to you later in another thread (got a couple more questions).
Old 1st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
"a mister who likes electrons".*
Yes, I like that description
Old 7th October 2017

Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search