The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering the legowelt way Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th September 2017
Here for the gear

Mastering the legowelt way

Hi Danny

Do you have a standard mastering process you use for every track, and if so, is it 100% hardware (or you incorporate software to get your sound right before releasing the track).

Thanks!
Old 30th September 2017
Here for the gear

When you get back from your gig, pls let us know - thanks!
Old 30th September 2017
special guest

I only do my own mastering on my own Nightwind records label sometimes with the help from my studio assistant tech Jimi Elektrovolt i.e. for the last Amateur Space Jazz record, A Vampire Goes West, UFOCUS, Calimex Mental Implant Corp, Rising Sun Systems, Nomad Ninja and all that stuff, when I release on another label they most of the time have their own mastering person and I let them do whatever they want but not always to my liking

I Just use some multiband compression and EQ, do it really old school and just change the volume/EQ by hand on the parts were its nessesary, sometimes I record the track to tape or just route the sound through an old mixer, recorder, effects unit with FX dry just for the sake of its dusty amps.

Jimi elektrovolt uses Protools with Klanghelm MJUC Fabfilter pro-q equalizer, Faraday limiter, Audified u73 compressor and lots more. I like his style he tries to adress and amplify the general atmosphere instead of pumping everything to oblivion.

I try to keep a lot of breathing space and dynamic headroom….I hate when stuff is maximized into one block with limiters etc. Its even worse when someone masters an ambient track like that haha.

Its really a Wild West out there in the mastering world. Sometimes I am flabbergasted when labels use the vinyl masters as the masters for digital release too…Or they don’t take the position of the track order on the vinyl in consideration…like putting a big techno track with lots of low end as the last track on the vinyl….stuff like that makes me want to do my own mastering all the time.
Old 2nd October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks Danny - appreciate the insight!
Old 5th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legowelt View Post
Sometimes I am flabbergasted when labels use the vinyl masters as the masters for digital release too…
you consider that a good or bad thing? confused with the use of word "flabbergasted" here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search