The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ambient Music
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Ambient Music

Hi Legowelt,

1. What inspires you to create your ambient tracks? What's the typical process of creating a track?

2. Do you listen to other ambient artists? What do you think of the genre these days?

Thanks!

View most liked answer
Old 29th September 2017
special guest

The cool thing about ambient is that there are no rules, structure is not important (but can be of course!) its a complete free flowing music style. It is very much a music of the mind it works on special ways on the brain.

When I make ambient I rarely put beats in it, it almost feels vulgar to contaminate an ambient track with beats, this sounds a bit weird and cocky but maybe some of you understand. (The worst is when your track becomes some kind of balaeric run down mindless weak shallow Ibiza lounge trip hop ambient...dont get me wrong there are lots of super good ambient tracks with beats but its a tricky affair)

A Typical process…there is not really a typical process for me really…There are so many ways. Just make yourself “comfortable” and sit behind a synthesizer and muck about, record that…check it out, keep the good parts and record over it again in a multitrack way with another sound. Add some cool vocal or field recording samples. And lots of effects of course! Delay to make the track multidimensional.

Or just sit behind a bunch of synths around you, have some good programmed patches and improvise…real magic can happen then…sometimes you record a track like that and you don’t even know how you did it. Its almost like someone takes over your soul…you become some kind of conduit or entered some seldomly used parts of your brain.

I listen to a lot of ambient music, since the 90s its probably my favourite music genre. My favourite ambient album is Brian Eno’s On Land 4. I am really into the weirder “underground new age” stuff too old labels like MU-PSYCH and Pauline Anna Strom’s Trans Millenia Consort…so good!
https://youtu.be/J4iBF83rPgo?t=16m38s

The genre today is very well alive I guess...there are a lot of contemporary talented ambient artists: of course Huerco S, he is a genius thats just on the top of my head but there are so many others too.
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Head
Hey, so cool to see you doing this Q&A sessions for the Gearslutz family!

How do you feel about the latest incarnations of ambient (which magazines like FACT like to refer to as 'power' ambient)? I mean where it's all about super dense soundscapes and extreme volumes especially live?

Do you actually perform your ambient works live?

Sorry that's two, I can go on and on haha but ambient + Legowelt that's a gold mine.
Old 7th October 2017
special guest

Power ambient sounds cool, though I myself am more a melodic/textured space orientated ambient guy, don't really want to listen to super loud drilling construction industrial sounds.

And yeah I perform my ambient stuff live, last gig with that was the Occult Orientated Crime project live in Amsterdam at the Dekmantel festival 2 months ago.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search