The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers

Thanks for answering some questions!
What was your first synthesizer, and what is your favorite synth today?
Old 29th September 2017
special guest

I started like many with a Commodore Amiga running Octamed and a sample interface, thats not a synth of course but its still pretty badass…

My first real synthesizer was a Yamaha DX21 I bought it second hand with my dad around 1993 I guess, maybe 1994. I didn’t really have an idea what it was I thought it could make 303 type acid analog style sounds with it, so when I got back home and turned it on I was pretty disappointed. But then I just spend hours in my parents attic learning to program it when I came back from school everyday and realised it was a pretty amazing synth. My first analog synth that did what I expected was the Korg MS10, I still have it. I would run one of the commodore Amiga’s audio outputs through the MS10 filter, together with the DX21 going into an Inkel MX995 mixer….with that I had pretty much a decent setup.

My favourite synthesiser today...it always changes every week whatever I am using or programming...currently is the Roland D10...I love that thing just got it second hand after I did some work for Roland with the Roland D05 etc. last month. Back in the day we used a lot of D110 and I got some melancholical longing for it and wanted to know what I could program on it today and I am quite amazed. It sounds very different then the D50 but its capable of doing some amazing things and its especially more interesting because lot of people think its a whack synthesizer

synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers-screen-shot-2017-09-29-11.36.22.jpg

I am trying to get a D5 (not be confused with D05) too that one has an arpeggiator and chord memory
Attached Thumbnails
synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers-screen-shot-2017-09-29-11.36.22.jpg  
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, thank you Danny for such an in-depth and intelligent answer, it was also nice to hear about your relationship with your dad a little, as my ten-year-old son is just starting to get into synthesizers now, so I'm trying to keep his interest up without pushing it too hard. :-)

I also live near the Venice boardwalk so of course when I saw the cover of your new album I immediately recognized it. Who did the picture? Really looking forward to hearing the new stuff, keep up the good work!

Last edited by Reptil; 30th September 2017 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: -
Old 7th October 2017
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Wow, thank you Danny for such an in-depth and intelligent answer, it was also nice to hear about your relationship with your dad a little, as my ten-year-old son is just starting to get into synthesizers now, so I'm trying to keep his interest up without pushing it too hard. :-)

I also live near the Venice boardwalk so of course when I saw the cover of your new album I immediately recognized it. Who did the picture? Really looking forward to hearing the new stuff, keep up the good work!
I drew the picture myself with a fineliner and some colouring pencils
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legowelt View Post
I drew the picture myself with a fineliner and some colouring pencils
Great job! Thanks again Danny, keep up the good work
Old 14th October 2017
Wonderful that you have such enthusiasm for these old digital synths, I almost thought I was last man standing in this area. I’ve made a Lately Bass killer on my D-20. But the user interface is really cryptic and so-so compared to the amazing D-50 design. But the D-5/10/20 are much quicker to work with. Are there any Atari editors? Geerdes K4 softworkstation was lovely but I don’t know how to find a new disk with that. The Steinberg D-50 editor looks stunning too but I have only seen a screendump of it. Do you use ST’s?
Old 14th October 2017
special guest

I actually find the D10/20 easier to edit from the machine itself

Just press - Edit -> Tone -> and then you can select the synthesis functions with the display up& down buttons. Then select the sub functions (cut off /resonance etc.) with the bank number buttons and tweak that silder

There is an Atari ST D10 editor, probablyworks good in STEEM (Atari ST emulator)
I think it should be here Atari ST

I have an Atari ST (got one from a friend recently) and used one in the 1990s
Old 15th October 2017
Cool man! Congratulations on your great success with the music! I am a friend of Chris / BMX here in Sweden, I think he knows you!

I also had an Atari back in the day and one winter day I felt like looking for one again. Found only one advertising at the time, and although I checked to look in the entire country, it was just 500 meters away out here in my village with 2000 people. I thought that was a fantastic sign ('o' the times).

Best Patrick / Bitley
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search