The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio setup - different jobs
Old 16th July 2018
Studio setup - different jobs

Hi Klas, good morning

Your studio looks well organized, and open. I have a question about organizing the different gear for different jobs.
You have split the studio in a small writing room and the main studio, but my question is more about the main room:
How have you connected the different mixing and mastering gear to be able to do that? Do you change things a lot? What is your general workflow and how do you tie all of this together?
I'm asking since I'm rearranging mine and I'm looking for pointers, tips, things to do (or avoid).

Thank you!!
Old 16th July 2018
Hey Reptil
Thanks for this question, I'm a big fan of ergonomics and 'the shortest way of cable' situation in a studio environment.

I basically split my studio into 3 parts : production, mixing and mastering.

Let's concentrate on the mixing and mastering setup for now. As I wrote before I use a RME Raydat PCI-e soundcard for all my A/D and D/A in the studio. This let's me use 36 outputs and input at the same time. The RME does not have any conversion, it only gives me digital connections to connect my various A/D and D/A converters to.

For mixing I use any of the 4 ADAT outputs from the RME to go to the converters for D/A which are hardwired to my outboard mixing gear, which again are hardwire through my summing mixer. I have 4 stereo stems which are clean, with no processing. The rest is connected to various 'colour' units, EQs and compressors.

So let's say you have a nice bass track you want to compress or colour. I chose an output labeled 'Stam' which goes into my Stam Audio SA2A optical compression (LA2A clone). The amount of compression I decide by the amount of gain from the D/A, thus compressing more if I drive the output of my DAW more. This gives me the freedom of keeping the outboard on a setting I like for a certain instrument or sound, and not to change it. This gives me 2 advantages, firstly I can process the sound and have that analog feel on it in the mix. Secondly I have a certain level of total recall of the mix if I need to open it at a later stage.

If I really need to process a track or stem more heavily I can still run the track through my outboard, tweak it as needed, and record it back to the DAW.

So basically my mixing is stemming out 32 channels through different HW gear summed on a Speck X-sum. I can add my vintage Yamaha mixer to the equation but it's another story.

The output from the Speck goes into my mastering / 2-bus gear which I will try to explain below.

For mastering I use AES/EBU connection from the RME to go out to my mastering converters and into my analog chain though a relay based insert switcher. The switcher has a 3 inputs and I can chose any of my converters or my summing mixer.

The outputs of the switcher goes into any of my A/Ds for a premaster record, or to a 2nd computer if I want to record on a different sample rate than my session is on.

Hope this helped out, it's a bit complicated I know.

cheers
Klas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Hi Klas, good morning

Your studio looks well organized, and open. I have a question about organizing the different gear for different jobs.
You have split the studio in a small writing room and the main studio, but my question is more about the main room:
How have you connected the different mixing and mastering gear to be able to do that? Do you change things a lot? What is your general workflow and how do you tie all of this together?
I'm asking since I'm rearranging mine and I'm looking for pointers, tips, things to do (or avoid).

Thank you!!
Old 18th July 2018
Yes it does! The switcher is an interesting piece of gear in this setup. Thank you
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search