The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your move from DJing & producing to mixing & mastering
Old 14th July 2018
Your move from DJing & producing to mixing & mastering

Hi Sasse,

thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and give much valued insight into your process and your thoughts!
My question is less about the gear and more about your personal/professional development:

From your bio and some (very positive!) things I heard about you here in Berlin, it seems clear that not only did you move location a few times - inside Finnland, to Frankfurt, then to Berlin. But it also seems like you shifted from DJing and producing to mixing and mastering a lot.
Was that a conscious decision or did it just "happen"? If it was planned, how did you go about it, i.e. how did you manage to shift your work's focus from your projects and collabs to providing mix and mastering for others?
Did relocating play a role in that? And if yes, was it helpful or challenging in that respect?

Thanks a lot for!
Thomas
Old 16th July 2018
Hi Thomas
Thanks for the questions and your positive vibe. It's fair to say as a dj most of us has a certain time-limit how long you want to spend playing music to younger crowds in various placed around the world. Not even talking about the travel here It is good fun to travel for the first 10 to 15 years, but after a certain time you look for new challenges in the music scene where you can make a difference.

It took a long time to understand that djing might not be the last stop on my journey through music. It all started with helping some friends with mixdowns and having a fairly good understanding of what a record should sound like. I guess we made enough errors back in the day, so that we learned which ones were your 'tricks of the trade' and which ones you don't want to repeat.

A 2nd big factor was the dj-market which turned from being a real artist to being a product of commercial interest for a lot of people including agencies, managements, record labels and such. I was never interested in this, and as you see nowadays most of the upcoming djs have managers even before they had a single release out.

There was no plan to turn from producer/dj to a mixing/mastering engineer - it was a slow process of letting other things go, while getting a more settled life going on in the world of service and quality control. And I still get my fair amount of producing and djing around Berlin and elsewhere, so it's a mixture of all things which makes me wake up with a big smile every morning.

Hope this answered your question(s),
Klas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSonic View Post
Hi Sasse,

thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and give much valued insight into your process and your thoughts!
My question is less about the gear and more about your personal/professional development:

From your bio and some (very positive!) things I heard about you here in Berlin, it seems clear that not only did you move location a few times - inside Finnland, to Frankfurt, then to Berlin. But it also seems like you shifted from DJing and producing to mixing and mastering a lot.
Was that a conscious decision or did it just "happen"? If it was planned, how did you go about it, i.e. how did you manage to shift your work's focus from your projects and collabs to providing mix and mastering for others?
Did relocating play a role in that? And if yes, was it helpful or challenging in that respect?

Thanks a lot for!
Thomas
Old 17th July 2018
Klas,
thank you very much for your reply and your openness! I fully get what you're saying about wanting to change the course of your journey after a while and slowly growing into that new path.
I hope I'll bump into you somewhere in Berlin for a personal conversation.
Thanks again,
Thomas
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search