The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite processing for drum buss?
Old 8th July 2018
Gear Addict

Favorite processing for drum buss?

Hi,
thanks for the possibility to ask questions here!

I'm wondering if you have some favourite devices/plugins to process the drum bus for house music.

I know that you like saturation more than compressors for that (I heard that in the 'electronic beats' interview on youtube).

Are there any favourite devices or plugins you would recommend for that job?

Cheers
Old 9th July 2018
Hey there
I tend to use certain gear + plug-ins on my drums, here's a small list of my faves for kick and snare... so just to be clear we talk about electronic drum production, not acoustic o.

First I clean up the tracks with an EQ, dipping in some resonances and doing low/high cuts (if needed).

Kicks - UAD DBX-160 is always on my kicks, just barely hitting treshhold so it's basically just there for sound. After this I might try Xfer Record excellent OTT plug-in which is basically a multiband expander/compressor. Try it and you see what it does . After this I run the channel through D/A to a Pultec clone, where I have a pretty standard setting of a smallish boost at 30 or 60 and a tiny bit of boost maybe at 3k for presence. If I mix for a client I might Attenuate 3k depending on if the kick has too much upper mid range. But I choose my kicks usually to be a tad darker 808 style, so the Pultec push help bring it up in the mix.

Snare - UAD 1176 with fairly fast attack and fast release, just to give it a bit more snap. Any 1176 plug-in would work of course. Sometimes Eventide 2016 Stereo Room or Avid D-verb as insert with 3-5% wetness just to give it a bit more space. I use very short reverb times on drums. Sometimes if the snare is really on a 80s disco vibe thing and needs to be BIG, I use a fancier reverb like UAD AMS or hardware. Snare goes through D/A to a clean channel for summing.

Hope this helps
Klas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
Hi,
thanks for the possibility to ask questions here!

I'm wondering if you have some favourite devices/plugins to process the drum bus for house music.

I know that you like saturation more than compressors for that (I heard that in the 'electronic beats' interview on youtube).

Are there any favourite devices or plugins you would recommend for that job?

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search