The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using A Analog Desk/mixer
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Using A Analog Desk/mixer

I have been pondering getting a analog mixer to between my modular to protools (I use RME interfaces). I see that your using the yamaha PM-1000, which is to me like a old school neeve type mixer. I was woundering why you don't go directly into your A/D, also your approach to analog mixing durring the record session. I've been pondering getting a analog mixer to go between the modular and protools, but need a ever so small reason to buy it [this is after all gearslutz] I was also woundering on the analog mixer why you prefer the neeve type sound, and if you would do anything different there (i.e. I worry about my maintenance ability on a old analog console)?
Old 9th July 2018
Hey Patrick
Thanks for the question, it's a tricky one as there as many ways to answer it as there are producers. I use a mixer as a front end to get a tiny bit more juicier sound out of my gear arsenal. Also the mixer helps me with a latency-free monitoring so I don't have to listen to the synths through the soundcard.

It also helps me integrate my outboard effects having a mixer. I have only 2 Auxes on the PM-1000, but I trick it with using an Aux splitter so I have 3 different vintage delays on Aux 1 and a few vintage reverbs on Aux 2.

From the mixer direct-outs I go straight to my A/D. This means I can perform as well a live jam in the studio on the mixer and record all tracks into the computer.

For clients I have the mixer inputs on a patchbay and you can come in and plug in your live set and record a pristine sounding live jam on the spot. It's pretty neat.

I personally use quite a lot modern gear like Roland Boutique series and Audiothingies Micromonsta, along with my vintage synths and modular. The modern digital, as well as the analog synths just sound better going through a desk like my PM-1000. It has to do with some harmonics and saturation from the transformers, just like from a nice sounding pre-amp. My desk is surely not a NEVE, but for the purpose of fattening synths it's just perfect.

Mine is fully modded and recapped though, with additional aux ins, direct outs and with an upgraded power supply so it's been a long path to get to this point soundwise. But even in stock config, the desk sound miles better than a Mackie or Soundcraft.

Regarding the sound, when it comes to mixing I prefer a neutral mixer sound. While mixing I use a Speck X-sum for summing, as it has no sound at all and enough headroom for my purposes.

Hope this helps you make a decision
Klas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I have been pondering getting a analog mixer to between my modular to protools (I use RME interfaces). I see that your using the yamaha PM-1000, which is to me like a old school neeve type mixer. I was woundering why you don't go directly into your A/D, also your approach to analog mixing durring the record session. I've been pondering getting a analog mixer to go between the modular and protools, but need a ever so small reason to buy it [this is after all gearslutz] I was also woundering on the analog mixer why you prefer the neeve type sound, and if you would do anything different there (i.e. I worry about my maintenance ability on a old analog console)?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search