The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reverb impact
Old 5th July 2018
Here for the gear

Reverb impact

Hello klas!

I am struggling with the reverbs sometimes in order not to make the mix muddy. What would you recommend to do with the reverb in a bus situation sending our main melodies and also fx instant sounds but also not to loose that nice reverbish impact plus sounding still good in mono?

Thanks!
Old 8th July 2018
Hi Tslfs
Thanks for this question.

I use nowadays reverb as an insert plug-in on each track, as the DAWs have the power to run multiple instances of good sounding plug-in reverbs. This way I can directly EQ the sound + the reverb and get rid of any nasty resonances and cut the low-end.

Some of my faves are UAD Lexicon, UAD AMS and the UAD EMT 250. But I also use native plugs like the NI RC24 and the good old DVerb in Pro Tools. Sometimes it's nice to use them more as an effect, than an actuall space. If I work with more acoustic instruments, I tend to use hardware reverbs.

But surely sometimes I use bus effects as well, it's nice to create a space for the main synths and melodies. Be sure to EQ the reverb return properly. I usually do a low-cut at around 250Hz on the reverb channel, to get rid any un-needed low-end rumble. You might wanna dip around 3-4k as well to get rid of some of the metallic reverb sound, if that is not wanted of course.

If you use the reverb more as an FX, you might want to try out some reverb plug-ins like Eventide Space or Mangledverb. Or any hardware Eventide works great too, as a cheaper alternative you can try to find an old Digitech Studio-5000 too.

So basically it's a mixture of choosing the right reverb for the track and the amount of reverb versus original sound. The old saying 'when you hear the reverb in the mix, it's usually too much' is the way to go.

Hope this helps

Klas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslfs View Post
Hello klas!

I am struggling with the reverbs sometimes in order not to make the mix muddy. What would you recommend to do with the reverb in a bus situation sending our main melodies and also fx instant sounds but also not to loose that nice reverbish impact plus sounding still good in mono?

Thanks!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search