The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Gear?
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Maniac

New Gear?

Thanks for taking the time out to participate in the Q & A!

What piece/s of gear have really expanded your scope for what you felt was possible in creating music?

What sorts of things do you find yourself wanting from your gear that just doesn't exist?

If you could watch any musician past/present writing or recording, who would you choose, and if a past time what records would you be interested in seeing them create?
Old 19th May 2016
Special Guest

1. as most of my life I've been using a computer for production, discovering analog sequencers, sending unquantized voltage was a big discovery for me. I always liked microtonal elements in the music and with analog gear - i found a very easy and fun way to do it. So the first sequencer, which I bought was MFB Urzwerg Pro. Still my favourite analog sequencer, now I have about 5 or 6. So this led to building an Eurorack modular system and it was an eye opener for dealing with soft / hardware synths generally. And inspiration, which is quite important.

2. an idiot proof (extremely user friendly) version of Max/Msp. I think Max has unlimited power but it`s difficult for me to learn it to a level, where I can create useful tools, more than a simple subtractive synth. I just don't have the time to invest in Max, with the big amount of gigs and travelling I have. But I have a solid experience on stage and in the studio, I could contribute a lot to the "community" and also do better music, if I could create music tools easily. I think this is valid for many active / touring acts. If we speak about hardware - I would love to have Fast Fourier Transform based hardware / spectral processing effects, with lowest possible latency. FFT requires big processing power and often the software plugins are unstable. If there was a dedicated hardware, doing only FFT, I assume the device will work more stable. And if there is a hardware unit with strong processor, dedicated only to these calculations, it would probably reduce the latency. I realise that zero latency is not possible with FFT of course.

3. wow... too many.. Delia Derbyshire and her work for the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, anything by Jeff Mills, but mostly his mid to late 90`s productions, Aphex Twin doing Richard D. James album, Autechre - anything with rhythm from the late 90`s till now, more recent - The Maghreban doing "Now Easy" or any of his recent records. Just to name a few
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search