The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hihats/shakers
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hihats/shakers

He Kink!

Love your loud and clear shaker loops in a lot of your remixes.

Will you share how you mix them? Sounds like you lowpass loops (they don't have a lot of sharp 12k in them right?) and use a bit crusher sometimes? Which one? And I think I don't hear any sidechain on them... Right?

Also, can you share which compressor you would use on a masterbus....?

Miqer
Old 17th May 2016
Special Guest

the hi -hats and shakers are my favourite part of the beat What i do is to process the whole drum group, instead of processing a separate channel. Sure, there is an EQ on each channel, but not much more. On the drum group I have EQ--> comp. --> dist.--> EQ, but often its only dist or dist +eq. I don't lowpass the hats / shakers, but the processing on the drum group either emulates tape or (you were right) bit reduction, so both make the sound a bit darker / low passed. For tape I used to use Voxengo TapeBuss <is part of Voxengo Analogflux>, it gives the best colour of the mid / high range ever and generally my favourite tape emulator, but it can make weird stuff on the lows, so I use it carefully. Bit reduction - D16 Decimort! Absolutely fantastic plugin and also it has a nice virtual preamp, sometimes I use only this plugin on my drums and a bit of EQ. Sidechain - never on hats / shakers. They get a bit compressed anyway, somewhere on the chain, so i don't want to add even more, by sidechainng them. Compressor on drums - i try different compressors in New York style / parallel compression. Normally 80% dry. Often i use PSP Mixpressor <part of MixPack2>. Lately, once in a while i mix my drums with affordable hardware. Mackie mixer and a chain of FX (FMR compressor / Pigtronix distnortion pedals as insert fx) back to the Mackie, some eq and back to my sound card.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks!!!

Will try the voxengo and the D16 Decimort...
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

So you put the D16 Decimort over the whole drum group?
Old 19th May 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
So you put the D16 Decimort over the whole drum group?
yes
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search