The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixdown/recording dac's
Old 13th May 2016
Here for the gear

Mixdown/recording dac's

What's your process/sequence for mixdowns ?

Do you have a preferred analog to digital converter ?
Old 17th May 2016
Special Guest

DAC / ADC - I always worked on a very low budget, for over 6 years now I use a Native Instruments DJ 8 audio interface. I bought it originally for my live set, but at some point I bought a small mixer, so I found I can use the card in the studio. I heard mixed opinions about this interface, but I made some good records with it and some of my "hit" records are done even with lower class audio interfaces. I don`t know for what kind of quality i should be looking for. I was given a really good audio interface for a test, the Antelope Audio Zen Studio. Well, compared to NI DJ 8 it had pretty much zero latency, also on very extreme / high sampling rate. That was pretty amazing! Hpwever - when I was testing the Zen Studio to record on different sampling rates (44khz, 96khz, 192hz..) I clearly could hear difference, but I honestly - i couldn't tell which sampling rate sounds better to my taste.. maybe my ears lost a bit of something, after 24 years, listening to techno, loud... Maybe I will change to a more high class sound card one day, probably by Antelope Audio, as they are made here in Bulgaria.. But right now I`m perfectly happy with my Native Instruments one. Maybe someone here will convince me I need a better one, with a more practical example?

Mixdowns - sometimes I record all in the box, with very little on the master, the PSP Vintage Warmer. But often i mix with my Mackie 16.8.2 console. I send 8 channels from my computer via the NI audio interface, 2 channels for stereo drums through pair of FMR PBC-6a and a pair of Pigtronix dist pedals as insert fx. the other 6 channels are other instruments from the computer, I have an FMR RNLA somewhere as an insert effect, sometimes on the master, but in a parallel setting. Often I have some sounds from my Eurorack or my Lepoop synth going to the mixer too. I record stereo from the master of the mixer back in Ableton, I make sure everything in the mixer goes a bit in the red
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search