The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Finishing Tracks
Old 11th May 2016
Here for the gear

Finishing Tracks

Hey!

You mentioned loops and making them into full songs in one of the earlier threads. Can you tell us a little bit about how you take a loop from 8 bars to a finished track?

Would you create say two 8 bar loops ( a break, and a verse say), and build on the two of them so you feel you can expand them to a full track, or do you try to make say 64 bars first, add to that until it sounds good, or do you lay a track out in some software and keep adding to it until it's finished.

During a session do you keep listening to other tracks for ideas, or do you start writing with all your ideas in your head.

Thanks Man!
Old 12th May 2016
Special Guest

damn, I was writing a very long answer to this question yesterday and the power went off!!!! I`ll be a bit shorter now:

I havent listened much to music with a standard song structure, so I follow my feelings. When i make a dance track - i imagine i`m on the dancefloor and i listen to it. When certain part becomes boring to me - i make a change, i guess that`s it. I create a strong loop with all the elements, I imagine this will be the sound of the peak time in the track. Then i copy the loop on the time line, about 7-8 minutes and I start to remove elements. Of course, sometimes the base of the track is too stripped down and I have to add something, but generally its more a subtractive process.

I used to listen to a lot of music at home and trying to copy it, it was a part of my learning process, now I get inspired a lot when I listen to DJs in the club. Often it would be a moment of transition between two or three tracks, where something unexpected happens.. Or im in the bathroom, or another part of the club, where I can hear a very filtered version of the music, then my imagination starts to work and adds the missing elements. Generally I found I like to listen to some music in a different room. Often i do this with my music too, when Im close to the end - I go to the bedroom. It gives me good ideas, about the mix or generally, shall i underline or remove some elements. I think the most important part is to have a very strong idea, more than something average. Then I dont have to "fix" it with composition, but just to expand it, following my feelings.
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

Thats insightful, thanks kink!
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear

Really interesting reply, thanks dude.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search