The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Live Performance Compression
Old 6th May 2016
Here for the gear

Live Performance Compression

How do you deal with compression during live performance? Do you route your TR-8 / any hardware synths that you have back into Ableton to compress?
Old 9th May 2016
Special Guest

i don`t compress in the way i want at the moment. I have a compressor on the master in Ableton (the Glue compressor), but with very soft settings, just to prevent some crazy peaks in the signal) as I use a lot of loops, which are already very processed. I don`t compress TR-8 for my KiNK set, as I dont want to route it back to Ableton (in case of computer crash, i want to have the drummachine running independent. Also TR-8 is my audio interface, i use one output for everything, because i found its better for me if most of my live stuff goes out on one channel on the mixer (i use a Pioneer DJM mixer). I make all very simple, so i can play without thinking too much. The other hardware synth that i usually bring (Leploop or Novation Circuit) goes to the DJ mixer as well. After a while i found its great as it is, because the content that goes out of Ableton is very dirty, without much transients and then the unprocessed TR-8 adds the punch that`s missing. For another project that i do (Cyrillic) i use TR-8 as source of drums, 3 CDJs to play loops from my modular synth and also one synth, LEPLOOP or Novation Circuit. All this goes inside a Pioneer DJM mixer and all this needs a bit of "warmth" and "glue" so i put the TR-8 inside Roland Torcido (dist) and FMR RNLA compressor goes after the dj mixer. I found Torcido quite amazing for drums! RNLA is not perfect, the sound is too punchy and it kills a bit of the bass, but its better than nothing and i cant find a better compact stereo compressor for the road. A pair of FMR PBC-6a is much better (because of the highpass filter on the detection circuit and the hard knee, nice for short techno drums), but i dont have space in my bag for a pair of them. I wold love to find a good way to compress, but now im still more focused on how to make the improvisational elements better and most of all - how to make the system more stable
Old 15th May 2016
Here for the gear

what about FMR RNC1773? do you use that?

Last edited by Reptil; 16th May 2016 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 17th May 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosheu View Post
what about FMR RNC1773? do you use that?
I read that RNLA is a bit dirtier than RNC, thats why i bought it. Also people say its better. It still sounds pretty transparent to my ears, i can't tell if there is a big difference between both.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search