The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Equipment: Roland TR-8
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Nut
Equipment: Roland TR-8

You've been kind to share many videos on various DJ sites about the equipment you use live. One of the centrepieces is your colourful knobbed TR-8.

How do you think it compares to the real deal, and when you record in the studio are you using the same equipment setup?
Old 11th May 2016
Special Guest

TR-8 is probbably the best clone of TR-909 / 808 / 707 / 727. There other platforms like the modules by Tiptop Audio for Eurorack, I think they sound a bit more authentic, but then you don`t have the sequencer and overall they are not that playable. I`m totally in love with the TR-8, because of the way you can play it, it`s also relatively compact and easy to use in a live situation and the sound is pretty authentic. Often i miss some of the features, when I play around with an old drummachine. The sound itself - i can talk more about 909 - TR-8 is better than all plugins I tried and as good as a drum rack in Ableton with the right samples. It`s not 100% identical with TR-909 and it doesn`t sound better. I find TR-8 to sound a bit brighter, which i dont prefer, the kick and the snare could be done better and there is some sort of phasing problem between the snare and the clap, when you play them together. I also don`t like that on the TR-8 you don`t have two buttons for strong / weak sounds on some instruments like the Snare. It takes away some of the funk, that the original has. In the studio nowadays i try to resist using too much of the 909 / 808 sounds in the classic way, so I prefer to use a drum rack in Ableton, where i can have more control over the samples. If i really want to use a hardware, I`m going with something more exotic, like my Russian drummachine, called Marsh, some Eurorack modules or my Vermona from 1984. Saying all that - the TR-8 is probbably my currently favorite drummachine, because I can`t stop playing with it, every day at least for 10-15 min! Even now since I have it for few years. I have two now.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search