The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with Kevin Killen

Sponsored By
  Options
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

Cheers Mr. Killen! Firstly, I have to say that the issue of EQ Magazine that featured you on the cover was a very cool...

musicispower
replies: 6 views: 8,167
Kevin Killen 17th February 2007

Can you talk a little bit about making this record. How much of the record was written before you went into the studio and was...

MJGreene Audio
replies: 16 views: 6,436
Kevin Killen 16th February 2007

Hi Kevin: Working in a home studio, I can tweak a project to death. How do you know when to say...

Antaren
replies: 7 views: 7,916

Hi Kevin! thanx so much for sharing your knowledge! How did you get that amazing , tight and clear / in your...

AMIEL
replies: 6 views: 6,136
AMIEL 16th February 2007

hi kevin, i'm very curious about the nuts and bolts of your approach to building a mix, and wonder if you would answer a few...

u b k
replies: 21 views: 13,524

Hi Kevin, Thanks for taking time out here! Let's say you have two 12 cab, closed back, and a couple of mics on the front....

oceantracks
replies: 1 views: 6,912

Hi Kevin! I am here reading all your post! best school ever!! Thanks for you nice way of giving us your experience and...

AMIEL
replies: 4 views: 6,636

Kevin, You are the man! And beyond. Thanks for being so generous with your answers! Anyways, I noticed that you have a...

Alex Wyler
replies: 8 views: 7,904

Kevin, Thanks so much for all your input on this forum. I've learned a lot from your many generous responses. I imagine...

Ken
replies: 8 views: 6,547

Kevin you had mentioned in an earlier response that you're regarded as a 'more dynamic' guy with some A+R. In general where...

lucey
replies: 1 views: 6,838
Kevin Killen 15th February 2007

Hey Kevin, I've read through just about all these questions, and I'm left with a question I don't ever hear discussed much...

tomwehrle
replies: 1 views: 8,229
Kevin Killen 15th February 2007

Kevin how many versions of the final mix do you print? ie. +1, -1vocal, no vocal... What mix formats do you use? 1/2"?...

clip6
replies: 17 views: 9,183
Kevin Killen 14th February 2007

I know you've worked with Tori-- just wondering if you've tracked Matt before, and if you have any observations as to how he...

cajonezzz
replies: 1 views: 6,398

That is one good chord! H-U-G-E Gives me goose bumps when I hear it and even as I type this. Did a lot of effort go into...

Jules
replies: 14 views: 8,631

Hi Kevin, Firstly, best to follow the trend and commend you on your open and detailed answers to the many questions from us. ...

supaheef
replies: 1 views: 5,760

Dear Kevin, a question from here in Colombia do you find yourself using more plugin reverbs or hardware reverbs, plus, what are...

*CISKO*
replies: 3 views: 9,054

Given that artists can fall in love with aspects of a rough mix ... do you give roughs to clients? If so, with or without...

lucey
replies: 4 views: 7,179

Dear Kevin! Good to see you here on Gearslutz my friend, it's a pleasure to finally have you on here! Thanks for the great...

Eide
replies: 3 views: 6,117
Kevin Killen 13th February 2007

Hi Kevin, Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A. I was wondering what converters you prefer to use and what are the...

CorkyTart
replies: 8 views: 7,316
chrisso 13th February 2007

Regarding the second disc of stems from "White Limousine", what do you think of this idea of releasing a supplementary...

Schmacko
replies: 1 views: 5,164
Kevin Killen 12th February 2007

For most of us, working with an artist like Elvis Costello or Peter Gabriel or U2 once in a lifetime would be an incredible...

Silver Sonya
replies: 1 views: 5,252

Hello Mr. Killen, Thank you for your time here. I am not as seasoned as most of the people on this board but I have a...

crabtwins
replies: 1 views: 6,678

Kevin, I was privileged to sit in on a mix session for a large budget project in Nashville about ten years ago. The...

Don Rice
replies: 6 views: 9,459

How did you approach recording the CP-70? Since it was such a big part of So, was there any special attention paid in tracking...

philosi
replies: 4 views: 8,719
philosi 12th February 2007

Kevin, I would be greatly honored if you could give your insight into how you handle the pre-production stage? What do you do...

Jejune
replies: 4 views: 6,105
AMIEL 12th February 2007

Mixmaster Killen (!), whether it was your intention or not, you've kicked off a week of "Killen Music" in my studio,...

timtoonz
replies: 3 views: 6,587

Hi Kevin, What's your fav mic pre's for vocals, drums, acst. gtr., guitars, piano, acoustical instruments of any kind? How...

stlpck
replies: 1 views: 7,341
Kevin Killen 11th February 2007

Whats the secret to getting that comercial recordings chorus efftect? Ive tired all kinds of delays, Compression,Reverbs but...

Dj_at1
replies: 1 views: 6,824
Kevin Killen 10th February 2007

Hi Kevin, Do you regard yourself as a Celt? If so, do you feel your Celtic background is a strength you can draw on in this...

Jules
replies: 8 views: 5,937

Silly question really... Back in the 80's every time you rented an Emulator keyboard (For those that missed the 80's the...

Jules
replies: 17 views: 11,916
Jose Mrochek 10th February 2007

What do you think makes a good headphone mix? Do you think that the balances in a good headphone mix are much different from a...

Mike Caffrey
replies: 3 views: 6,550

Thanks for doing this Kevin, your replies are an interesting read. Could you let us know what mics, preamps and so on that...

Stephen Bennett
replies: 3 views: 7,709

I'm truly a big admirer of all your work, and think "Painted From Memory" is one of the best sounding albums in years. ...

Greg Wells
replies: 9 views: 7,039
Kevin Killen 9th February 2007

Kevin. Steve Farris from Mr Mr,(who's a good friend of mine) said he enjoyed working with you. Did you have a good time with...

GOD
replies: 15 views: 6,895
dasoundjunkie 9th February 2007

Hey Kevin, thanks very much for offering us some of your time. Can you give me an idea of how you would approach mic'ing up...

lord_bunny
replies: 1 views: 6,167
Kevin Killen 9th February 2007

If I read you correctly in the bass/d.i./amp post, you wrote that EQ moves to the bass guitar track are made with the key of the...

vodka gimli
replies: 4 views: 6,288
Kevin Killen 8th February 2007

Kevin, There has been another question about THAT song on this forum. But there is SO much to that ONE song. I have marveled...

DCMIX
replies: 3 views: 6,160

Hey Kevin, Do you ever track just the drums, and then either use beat detective or edit them by hand before you go onto other...

drumkideric
replies: 1 views: 6,633

Kevin, Could you describe the "Treatments" section of the console that you have referenced in other threads? What...

MJGreene Audio
replies: 3 views: 7,263

Hello again Kevin, I found the Q&A very inspiring so far, thank you.kfhkh Would be great if you can give us some insights...

vandertone
replies: 4 views: 6,577

Hi Kevin Could you a bit about how you use delays in your mixes Do you have specific template you set up. On tempo, off...

Absolute
replies: 2 views: 7,466
Alex Wyler 8th February 2007

Kevin could you talk about useing the D-Command?

clip6
replies: 7 views: 7,552

Could you share some of the tricks you use on de-essing. The types of settings on plug-ins and hardware? thanks for being a...

you knighted
replies: 1 views: 7,170
Kevin Killen 7th February 2007

Kevin, thank you for an awesome month on GS. thumbsup Is there any gear that you wish existed but no one has come up with yet...

gainreduction
replies: 1 views: 5,460

First off, thanks a lot for volunteering your knowledge on this site. I really admire your work. Apparently, that sentiment's...

chrispick
replies: 8 views: 5,862

Kevin, You are featured quite a bit in this documentary and you look like you are having a great time as an engineer and as an...

Alex Wyler
replies: 3 views: 6,534

Hi Kevin- Thanks so much for being here to chat. I'm a huge fan. I would love to hear a little about your production...

TER
replies: 9 views: 6,563

Hi Kevin, How long did it take until you felt at home in your mixing environment. And is it easy for you to mix somewhere...

MatzeMillion
replies: 4 views: 6,310

How do you approach a project as just a tracking engineer when you know that someone else will be mixing it? Also, which do...

pr0gr4m
replies: 1 views: 7,514

I love that you are in here answering questions Kevin. It's an honour and a gift. I have always loved the way this track...

Alex Wyler
replies: 3 views: 10,259

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search