The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with Kevin Killen

Options
Views: 6,858
24th November 2017
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

Starts Feb 1st! Get your questions ready! kfhkh

Jules
replies: 33 views: 16,565
Coyoteous 6th March 2007

KEVIN KILLEN DISCOGRAPHY ALBUMS-PRODUCED / CO-PRODUCED / ENGINEERED / MIXED ELVIS COSTELLO North ASHLEY MACISAAC Ashley...

Jules
replies: 1 views: 15,620
Jules 31st January 2007

This Q & A forum will follow a "moderated thread & post" format This means that your questions (threads) or...

Jules
replies: 0 views: 9,395
Jules 30th January 2007

I'm not so good at asking good questions but this month's Q&A has simply turned into a blessing thanks to other fellows'...

Barish
replies: 15 views: 29,542
Tom VDH 7th March 2007

Regarding the role of Assistant Engineer, you mentioned in a previous thread; "A good one is invaluable, a bad one a...

VivaLaVinyl
replies: 8 views: 14,762
ericrudd 6th March 2007

Hi Kevin, Thanks for doing this. I've enjoyed your work quite a bit over the years. I interviewed Gina (Fant-Saez) about a...

Silvertone
replies: 2 views: 8,679
Silvertone 6th March 2007

Kevin -- My biggest problem in every mix is how much bass guitar to bring up. I don't know if there's an answer to this. It...

Mike Jasper
replies: 9 views: 14,287
FFTT 6th March 2007

Hi Kevin, I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the growing number of musicians who are attempting to...

loaf
replies: 2 views: 10,699
loaf 6th March 2007

Hi Kevin, What are some of the factors you consider when choosing between compressing vs. limiting for dynamics processing,...

HockeyMike
replies: 3 views: 13,346
Kevin Killen 5th March 2007

Kevin, When you use Pro Tools systems, do you use an external clock? If so, what and why. P.S. Thanks for taking the time to...

fasttraxx
replies: 1 views: 10,578

Hey Kevin, love the work you did on Universal Cry with Nasio Fontaine. Care to comment on the sessions? I believe you did...

lozion
replies: 2 views: 19,288
lozion 5th March 2007

Hey Kevin, From what I've heard Edge is big on layering guitars and trying new tones, what can you tell us about the recording...

pbell
replies: 17 views: 32,226

Hi Kevin Another big hello from the oul' sod! As an Irish producer/engineer, you've always been a big inspiration to me,...

Dr Funk
replies: 4 views: 9,951
Dr Funk 5th March 2007

Hey Kevin, I was wondering how you mic drum overheads. Do you go with the OH has cymbals, or OH as the drum kit, or both. ...

starkey
replies: 21 views: 25,328
tom durack 4th March 2007

HI, so ive never posted here but have been checking it out for a couple years now. Im just wondering where you like to have...

eight16
replies: 3 views: 10,574
Kevin Killen 4th March 2007

Kevin, So I pulled out Jude Cole's "I Don't Know Why I Act This Way" release, (1 million three listens now and...

Cymbals
replies: 1 views: 8,877
Kevin Killen 4th March 2007

After much research i found out that on "bells for her" the beautiful piano sound was conjured by detuning the whole...

skopje
replies: 2 views: 10,753
paul mckenna 4th March 2007

Thanks so much for taking time to answer questions. I am slowly trying to move to ITB mixing. But it's really hard to get the...

jonnyclueless
replies: 8 views: 26,692
Dopamine 4th March 2007

Hi, Kevin. Thank you for taking our questions. In an earlier post you said, "I can spend a number of hours experimenting...

especht
replies: 24 views: 21,268
Kevin Killen 3rd March 2007

My last question for you is not technical, necessarily, but one of philosophy and circumstance. I was wondering if the music...

Silver Sonya
replies: 5 views: 10,124

should a recording engineer expect anything in the way of residuals (points) for the use of his work? About five years ago I...

Russell Dawkins
replies: 3 views: 9,690

Hi Kevin........You are one of the few lucky mixer/producers that gets to record and mix alt Rock records(Tori Amos, Duncan...

ron florentine
replies: 1 views: 9,331

Dear Kevin, I have this friend who recently joined a signed band, and they get a lot of money from the label to record a cd....

DWINC
replies: 3 views: 8,463

Kevin, What do you use your distressor's on? Do you use them when tracking or just for mixing? Thanks So Much...

CasadeBomba
replies: 5 views: 10,921

Hello Kevin! I want to say that your work with Tori is inspiring to say the least. She must be interesting to work with. My...

brendandwyer
replies: 9 views: 12,186

Hi Kevin, I was scrolling down your long list of work and achievements, and I saw Amos Lee. This was one of my favorite albums to...

ericdevine
replies: 3 views: 10,814

My Fellow gearslutz users. For those interested in esession please check out the main homepage at www.esession.com. The...

Kevin Killen
replies: 0 views: 7,920

I can't help but notice that most of the music I listen to (and my generation), is generally through an Ipod (small headphones),...

bloodsuga
replies: 2 views: 10,398
Kevin Killen 2nd March 2007

Hi Kevin, These days I guess being an experienced engineer that you don't run into so many situations now (compared to when...

knightsy
replies: 1 views: 10,007
Kevin Killen 2nd March 2007

Hi Kevin, When it comes to mixing, how much emphasis do you place on certain pieces of gear to get you the sounds you're...

CorkyTart
replies: 4 views: 10,792
Barish 28th February 2007

Has anyone every used the comp/gate as an effect on a mixing board??? That way I could just add it to the channels with vocals...

brentworthy
replies: 1 views: 9,366
Kevin Killen 28th February 2007

Kevin I was curious if you have had experiences recording Vocals in the control room with the main monitors at high volumes and...

modulation
replies: 5 views: 13,810
Kevin Killen 28th February 2007

Hi kevin Thanks for your answers How do you document your mix. I mean.... Is Everything recallable? I heard the Surround mix...

Mazaga
replies: 5 views: 8,981
Kevin Killen 27th February 2007

Kevin, You mentioned that with Tori Amos, you recorded the Piano and Vocal together. Do you do anything to try to isolate...

Mike Butler
replies: 7 views: 18,433
Mike Butler 25th February 2007

Hi Kevin, Can you share any thoughts/info on the Bryan Ferry sessions you did - especially anything related to the recording...

Meriphew
replies: 2 views: 8,475
Meriphew 24th February 2007

This is one for all the gear heads. A few years ago I was listening to NPR about a minor earthquake in northern California. I...

Kevin Killen
replies: 33 views: 17,524
lucey 23rd February 2007

hello Kevin! i am a big fan of this album and especially think the engineering on it sounds incredible. the mix of 'Space...

jdjustice
replies: 14 views: 11,822
Kevin Killen 23rd February 2007

Hey again Kevin. As a fan of Shakira, especially her pre 2001 all-Spanish music, I am of the opinion that she writes and...

GearHunter
replies: 3 views: 10,346

Hi Kevin. Greetings from Costa Rica! I have always regarded So as a staple on sound engineering and have been a kid at the...

ortrejos
replies: 4 views: 10,583

Hi Kevin! Just wondering what was your approach to recording the different kinds of bagpipes (Scottish, Irish different kinds...

ortrejos
replies: 6 views: 9,221

How does one contact Kevin Killen to see if he's interested in the project? What's the chain of contact? (I figured I'd...

thenoodle
replies: 8 views: 12,140
replies: - views: -
Kevin Killen 22nd February 2007

Kevin, This is a thrill. My two all-time favorite recordings are "A Sort of Homecoming" and "Mercy Street."...

jambirn
replies: 1 views: 10,031

Hi Kevin You´ve been working on some of my favorite albums ever (So, Bright Red, The Sensual world just to mention a few). I´m...

Søren Bendixen
replies: 3 views: 9,221

Hey Kevin- I love the strings on the White Limousine cd....haunting stuff reminiscent of things like Nick Drake's River Man...

thenoodle
replies: 1 views: 8,107

Kevin, I read with interest your thoughts on mixing drums and your experiences recording Matt Chamberlain. Do you have any...

chrisso
replies: 1 views: 21,243

Kevin, Can you please talk a little about working with Peter Bradley Adams. I love the EP that you worked on and his style and...

MJGreene Audio
replies: 3 views: 8,380
Kevin Killen 21st February 2007

Hi Kevin, didn't know how to word this question.. but where you ever involved in a project you thought it never had a chance to...

Jose Mrochek
replies: 9 views: 11,385

Hi Kevin About 12 years ago when I was starting out engineering I did demos for a guy in Dublin who had been in a band called...

phutloose
replies: 1 views: 9,558

hello again Kevin did you mix /record Veronica? i love that track ...its got a Dave Edmonds / Nick Lowe feeling for me. Im a...

Bassace
replies: 2 views: 9,915

Kevin, GREAT forum. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences. I was curious about how often (if ever)...

hoop
replies: 1 views: 11,274

First of all Mr. Killen it's great to have you here on Gearslutz! And thank you for all the advice you have shared with us...

mOjO FET
replies: 2 views: 10,862

Kevin, I saw you were involved with Paula Cole's "This Fire". Did you work on "Where have all the cowboys...

djui5
replies: 6 views: 8,796
AMIEL 17th February 2007
Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search