The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recalling a mix
Old 21st February 2007
Gear maniac

recalling a mix

Hi kevin
Thanks for your answers

How do you document your mix. I mean.... Is Everything recallable?
I heard the Surround mix of the album "So" and for me it seems quite like the original mix but in surround... I was wondering: "How did they recall this mix?"
May you comment on this please?

thanks again

M.
Old 22nd February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaga View Post
Hi kevin
Thanks for your answers

How do you document your mix. I mean.... Is Everything recallable?
I heard the Surround mix of the album "So" and for me it seems quite like the original mix but in surround... I was wondering: "How did they recall this mix?"
May you comment on this please?

thanks again

M.

Mazaga,

In the analog world I usually have an assistant who is responsible for recalling the mixes. Most likely this is somebody that I am already familar with and they are aware of the need to document everything. You never know when you will be using those notes again. Its laborious and you a need a system to ensure that you have got everything but if you are mixing a whole album and are staying in the same room with the same equipment then its not that difficult, just more time consuming that anything else.

In the digital world , I stay in the box for many reasons but also because recalls are literally a click away.

On the surround mix of "So" I discussed with Peter in advance whether to pay particular attention to the original balances. We decided that it was important that the initial surround mix should resemble that whilst taking advantage of the new medium.

During the original recording Dan and I and David Bottrill kept incerdibly detailed notes regarding effects and processing.
Once I found the master tapes and mix notes, it was a question of piecing back the balance. A lot of effects were already printed to the original master but not for the vocals. It took me about two weeks , 12-14 hour days to recreate those mixes. Peter still had all the outboard gear used during the session, although the SSL had long since been replaced by a Sony Oxford.

The 2 inch and Mitsubishi masters were transferred into a ProTools HD rig and I set about editing the parts within the session. On the original mixes we did all of our mutes and fade outs using the console, now I had to listen bar by bar to mimic those moves in the PT session. Also some of the vocals were comped by switching from performance to performance on the console and this meant I had to re do the same vocal comps 18 years later! It cetainly brought back some very compelling memories. ( I had a copy of the original mix loaded into the session for comparison). The origianl mix data stored on the SSL disks were no longer accessible so I literally re did the mixes, which when dealing with a "classic" is somewhat intimidation and challenging.

I left Real World at the end of July and beacuse of Peter's schedule we did not reconvene until December of 2003 where we spent 5 days tweaking the results. Its cool to listen to that record in surround as they are some many wonderful parts and performances that in stereo get sublimated .

Kevin

Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Where can I hear this fabled mix?

I have the SACD of "SO" but it is not surround.

Is it available commercially?

Love that record!
Old 24th February 2007

You may be able to hear some of those mixes on "Push" a compilation album that PG released about 15 months ago.

I am not sure if he will ever release the full version I did, he has a number of surround mixes of various albums ready to go.

Kevin
Old 25th February 2007
Gear maniac

Thank a lot for your reply...
comp vocals 18 years later....Crazy!!!

M.
Old 27th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaga View Post
Thank a lot for your reply...
comp vocals 18 years later....Crazy!!!