The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'The Unforgettable Fire' Reverb Question.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Maniac

'The Unforgettable Fire' Reverb Question.

Cheers Mr. Killen!

Firstly, I have to say that the issue of EQ Magazine that featured you on the cover was a very cool read--Sept. 2002; issue 9. Particularly the information about your time with U2 on the recording of 'The Unforgettable Fire'.

I was wondering what reverb unit was used on Bono's vocals (or generally on the record as a whole)...or if this was ambient reverb from the room(s) in which the vocals were recorded in. Or both, in a composite fashion.

I love the ambient textures on that record as much as the music itself.

Thanks for being here.
Richard R.
Old 14th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Richard,

Most of the vocals were finished at Windmill Lane although we did try a number in the ballroom at Slane Castle which had quite a reverberation to it. I cannot remember how many of those ended up as finished vocals.

In terms of what we had available at Windmill, there were two EMT Plates, a Lexicon 224xl and a Sony DRE 1000 (not sure this is the right model number) AMS RMX 16, AMS 1580 , tape delay and maybe a Yamaha Rev 5 and SPX 90. Most likely it was a combo of the 224 and plate.

Kevin
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Mr. Killen,

Thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate it! Of all those units you listed is there a trooper that you'd recommend for an all around jack knife hardware reverb---or if you only had to choose one?

My favorite track on that record is probably 'Promenade'. Going to listen now and be transported.

All the best...
Richard
Old 15th February 2007

Richard,

Thats a toss between the EMT plate and the Lex 224. I may have to go with the EMT !

KK
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

God bless you kind sir! Your next cup of tea is on me...

Richie R.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Nut

Kevin, Thanks again for doing this! thumbsup

Quick question . . . can you tell us which EMT plates you were using and a little about which ones you prefer? In other words were they tube, solid state, stereo, etc. and do you know if they had been tweaked ( electronics, springs, etc)?

Cheers!

MusicKat
Old 17th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicKat View Post
Kevin, Thanks again for doing this! thumbsup

Quick question . . . can you tell us which EMT plates you were using and a little about which ones you prefer? In other words were they tube, solid state, stereo, etc. and do you know if they had been tweaked ( electronics, springs, etc)?

Cheers!

MusicKat
I think there were EMT 140's , we had two there but I cannot remember whether they were tube or solid state. They were stereo and they electronics had been tweakes somewhat.

Sorry I don't know more than that

kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search