The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp Micing Question...
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Amp Micing Question...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking time out here!

Let's say you have two 12 cab, closed back, and a couple of mics on the front. In general, is it best to feed those two mics to two separate tracks, so you have more freedom in mixing? I can see how this could lead to LOTs of tracks on a guitar heavy record, but I guess what I'm asking is, does feeding them to separate tracks and panning them slightly a better way to go in general than multi micing and going to one?

I have read a lot of articles on micing amp cabs and while most engineers discuss multiple speaker cabs, or multiple mics, I never get a handle on whether all the mics are being fed to multiple tracks or not...

Thanks
Tom H
Old 16th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Tom,

Like so much of this stuff, its SO SUBJECTIVE.

I prefer to have two completely separate sounding cabs with different tonalities and effects. In that instance I would most likely record them to discreet and separate tracks.

As you may have read, I am all for combining sources when its possible , so if the difference between the cabs is not sufficiently great then I would pick one and then maybe overdub with the second cab and a different guitar. So much of it depends of the genre of music but it can be a lot more fun to try multiple layers of sounds gennerated by the guitars, just make sure you leave room for the voice....

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search