The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rough Mixes
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Guru

Rough Mixes

Given that artists can fall in love with aspects of a rough mix ... do you give roughs to clients?

If so, with or without limiting? (or 'maximization like Waves L2 etc - Jules)

And do you reference roughs at mixing?

thanks for your time this month,
Old 13th February 2007
Lives for gear

Great question.
Id love to hear about your experiences too Kevin.
Sometimes after spending a day on a mix I will reference the rough mix and there are things that sound better and clearer, or FXs that I forgot about using.
I think its a great way to let yourself know if you have "done too much" at mix time, or have lost the vision.
Anyway, thanks for all your great answers Kevin, its been fantastic reading.
cheers
Chymer
Old 13th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Brian,

Yes , its pretty much expected that you do. I try and keep notes on my projects so that if a particular issue comes up I hope I can replicate it if I have not already printed it to tape / DAW.

I tend to not use L1 or any other compression at this jucture, leave that for mixing and mastering.

I have had instances where a rough mix ended up being preferred over a finshed mix and used in the final sequence. In this day and age , there is no such thing as a rough mix, once the artist has emotionally fallen in love with that balance, all rational bets are off.

Kevin
Old 13th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
I have had instances where a rough mix ended up being preferred over a finshed mix and used in the final sequence. In this day and age , there is no such thing as a rough mix, once the artist has emotionally fallen in love with that balance, all rational bets are off.

Kevin
Right on ...

So did you pick up anything from D Lanois in how your mix process evolves from the roughs? Or do you have different influences come mix time?

I like an idea he's promoted ... of keeping the best rough on hand, and trying always to better something that was mixed when the music was alive in the room ... as opposed to starting fresh on mix day where it's too hard to connect with the same depth. If it keeps getting (almost objectively) better, from tracking to roughs, to mixes, to mastering ... that's all we can do, right!?

thanks again,
Old 14th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Brian,

That was the system we employed on "So" to great effect. Always building on the last best rough. Since that advent of automation and total recall that is certainly possible although it can be a time hog. With a DAW, if you are totally in the box , then you are a mouse click away, as long as you saved the session.

I have learnt form different people over the years, Dan Lanois, Steve Lillywhite, Glynn Johns, Bob Clearmountain to name a few but even if I copy exactly what they do, I still have to reconcile it with my own subjective tastes. My own experiences are built on the 26 years of accumulated projects. Some times I pull from one experience , then another depending on the set of circumstances I encounter.

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search