The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thought it didn't have a chance ?
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thought it didn't have a chance ?

Hi Kevin, didn't know how to word this question.. but where you ever involved in a project you thought it never had a chance to make it big and it did ? If you did go through something like this I would love to hear about it.. I love these stories. Thanks again
Old 12th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Jose,

I think I approach a lot of projects with the view that it could be huge and it is not. My first real experience of a project that "blew up" unexpectedly was Peter Gabriel's "So".
To that point his record sales were under the half a million mark worldwide. We all knew that this was a great record, but still it is surprising to see any record just take off. I believe in its initial year of release it sold 4 million copies , got nominated for all these awards and firmly established PG as a star.

In 1996 I got a call from Atlantic Records to work on a debut record for Donna Lewis. She had been working on the record with a very respected producer and close to the mix stage, people started getiing cold feet about the process. So I was approached about starting over on a limited budget. Donna had done pretty extensive sequenced demo's that had the vibe but not the pop production sound aesthetiic.

My idea was to start from the demo's and replace and build from there. It was a slow process partly because of the prior experience. (I heard that production and thought it was worthy of completion) Anyway , when the record was finished in September 96, the label decided to try releasing a single in the south east part of the country. it got picked up by a major station there after the initial audience reponse was overwhelming. In the space of 8 weeks this song, "I Love You Always Forever" just took off like gangbusters and headed to number 1. The album sold and neither the label or Donna were ready for such a quick ascent.

The success of the first single actually hindered the second release because some stations were reluctant to drop the first song. I thought the second single was even stronger. To go from making your demo in your bedroom , to getting signed and working with top talent in the business to having a number one single all in the space of 16 months is pretty dizzying and hard to follow for all involved. Even if its your fantasy. its still overwhelming when it happens.

Kevin
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome reply thanks
Old 13th February 2007

Cool

KK
Old 13th February 2007
Gear addict

Kevin, I had no idea that was you on the Donna Lewis song. Fantastic work!

I've been listening to that song repeatedly for 10 years without ever purchasing the album. This is mostly because it gets played so regularly on radio and other public music broadcasts, I haven't needed to buy it.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you about something in that song that I noticed on the first listen and have wondered about ever since...

After the bridge ends and the song continues with the chorus vamp, I can hear an echo tailing off with the last lines of the bridge vocal. However, it doesn't sound like Donna's voice. It sounds to me like it's echoing another singer's vocal. Is it possible that there was a backup vocal track that never made it to the final mix? Or was it possibly played down low under the lead vocal? The fact is, she's singing with a pretty low intensity in this spot, but the echo has quite a bit more power to it.

Anyway, it's not life or death but I am curious.

Great work on that tune as well as the other projects of yours discussed here. Looking forward to hearing even more in the future.

Paul
Old 13th February 2007
TER
Gear maniac

I have that Donna Lewis disc... what was to be the second single?

Was listening to "Midnight without You" (Chris Botti) tonight and realized you DID get to work with the Blue Nile. Very nice.

-tom
Old 16th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando View Post
Kevin, I had no idea that was you on the Donna Lewis song. Fantastic work!

I've been listening to that song repeatedly for 10 years without ever purchasing the album. This is mostly because it gets played so regularly on radio and other public music broadcasts, I haven't needed to buy it.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you about something in that song that I noticed on the first listen and have wondered about ever since...

After the bridge ends and the song continues with the chorus vamp, I can hear an echo tailing off with the last lines of the bridge vocal. However, it doesn't sound like Donna's voice. It sounds to me like it's echoing another singer's vocal. Is it possible that there was a backup vocal track that never made it to the final mix? Or was it possibly played down low under the lead vocal? The fact is, she's singing with a pretty low intensity in this spot, but the echo has quite a bit more power to it.

Anyway, it's not life or death but I am curious.

Great work on that tune as well as the other projects of yours discussed here. Looking forward to hearing even more in the future.

Paul
paul,

I had to go back and listen to it myself. Its Donna herself singing the high harmony on the last line "everywhere and everything" which has as you quite rightly point out, more intensity.

Well spotted

Kev
Old 16th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TER View Post
I have that Donna Lewis disc... what was to be the second single?

Was listening to "Midnight without You" (Chris Botti) tonight and realized you DID get to work with the Blue Nile. Very nice.

-tom

Ter,

It was the album opener "Without Love". If it had gone that album would have sold 2-3 million.......

KK
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Addict

It's interesting that you say most of her sequencing was already finished... It's a fantastic record, and I love the fact that it's not overproduced... just great songs treated the way they should. Kudos to your fabulous work!
Old 21st February 2007

Levi,

Thanks, it was a labor of love

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search