The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converter preferences
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Converter preferences

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A.

I was wondering what converters you prefer to use and what are the sonic characteristics that lead you to that decesion.

Thanks!
CorkyTart
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

...and not to drag you into samplerate wars but, what samplerate do you prefer to work with?

Thanks.

B.
Old 11th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Corkytart,

In truth most of the projects I do in the DAW world these days are with PT HD, so i end up using the Digi 192. I have not done a comparison with the newer Apogee's yet although I hear excellent things about them.

I think a more critical factor these days in terms of A/D D/A convertors is the master clock. That can have a much more dramatic outcome on your sounds. A good stable clock will provide less jitter and less noise thereby enhancing the recording. I think you will find that the top brands are all quite similar.

Kevin
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

how refreshing it is to hear an honest, real world answer. great feedback.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for answering my question. I'm using the MOTU HD192s and from what I understand, the clocks and the A/D section are the weak spots. I want to look into an external clock and see what results it offers.

Thanks
CT
Old 12th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barish View Post
...and not to drag you into samplerate wars but, what samplerate do you prefer to work with?

Thanks.

B.
I like 88.2 and 96K @ 24 bit.

To me it makes a difference in the amount of detail I can hear.

Kevin
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot Kevin

Regards.

B.
Old 13th February 2007

NP

Old 13th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
I think a more critical factor these days in terms of A/D D/A convertors is the master clock. A good stable clock will provide less jitter and less noise thereby enhancing the recording.
Do you use an external clock then? Something arguably better than the Digi's internal version?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search