The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Sort Of Homecoming
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Addict

A Sort Of Homecoming

Dear Kevin!

Good to see you here on Gearslutz my friend, it's a pleasure to finally have you on here!

Thanks for the great time up at Allaire last year, you know I'd climb that mountain with you again any time! So much fun to read all the posts in this Q&A forum, it's a great catch-up on a lot of the stories and tips you shared with us back then + some new ones of course. You are truly a great guy, so down to earth and always willing to share your knowledge.

I've looked thru the posts here and there is a lot of great info on The Unforgettable Fire album. However there is one happening I remember you telling me about that I would love to get a reprise on, and I'm sure people here would dig the story. I'm thinking of the opening track A Sort of Homecoming and the reverse-the-tape-in-the-heat-of-the-moment "incident" (if I remember correctly).

Thanks,
Andreas Eide Wickmann
Old 11th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Andreas,

Nice to hear from you. ( Andreas and i worked on a project up at Allaire in December 2005..... he is a mean guitar player)

The story for "A Sort Of Homecoming" was as follows. If you listen to the begining of the song and even throughout there is a slight ghosting effect occuring here and there which belongs to another song. We were recording up at Slane Castle using all this cool gear belonging to randy Ezratty of Effanel music. The 2 inch machine was a custom job, built by John Stephens in CA. It was a great sounding machine that was totally portable.

The one rule we had to abide by was not turning over the tape when it ran out and start recording the reverse way.( always go heads to tails ) . U2 were cranking out take after take of this song and they were so close. I had a few open reels ready to go and as we neared the end of this reel, dan said just "turn it over". My reaction was , we can't, the machine will not erase all the material previously recorded. In fairness to Dan, he just did not want the band to cool off for a moment and he was right, the technology should not interfere with a performance.

As Murphy's law would have it , that next take was the one. When we listened to the first playback, you could hear all the unerazed stuff subliminally . We got a great performance with some "voodoo" on it.

Dan was right, it was a good lesson for a young engineer to learn.

Kevin
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Kevin!

Up at Allaire I also remember you where using the Electrix MoFx quite a bit when we where to make some sounds. I did'nt see that one in the What's in your racks thread. Do you still use this FX unit? How do you think it compares to the more expensive stuff out there? I mean, one can get these for like $199 or someting.

Thanks for your time
Old 13th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Andreas,

I think I forgot to add it into the rack question, well spotted. It actually is a floater piece of gear so I sometimes forget I have it. I still use it mostly for tracking these days, unfortunately I have not been doing too much of that since last summer, but starting next week it will get a good beating......

Dollar for dollar, this is a gem. Anychance to find one , you should snap it up.

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search